Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2015 Electra glide that has barely 2000 miles. Yesterday, it was 83 degrees out and the engine had only been running for about three minutes to warm up and then ridden about 200 yards. At the light, with oil temp at 120 degrees and oil pressure at 26 pounds, the EITMS activated and killed the rear fuel injector. During the next 20 mile ride home, at all stops it would activate. Today was about 10 degrees cooler, and it did not activate. Has anyone got an idea why it would do this? Thanks for any input.

·
Retired citizen
24,526 Posts
The engine temp sensor could be faulty. The sensor is screwed into the front head behind the horn. But anyways it's still in warranty right ?

·
Super Moderator
5,214 Posts
Did you get the dash indication (if you have one) that the EITMS was on? Or were you just going off of the engine sound? On my break out I can hear it kick down to one cylinder or at least go into a reduced RPM mode but I only get the light when it is really hot. I swear it has 2 stages but can find no mention of it in the manuals.

When it is in a heat condition ready to kick in, you should be able to roll the throttle forward to manually initiate it.

·
Retired citizen
24,526 Posts
There are two stages to the EITMS, two different programmed engine temp ranges cause it. It's spelled out in the factory electrical diagnostics manual.

·
Registered
24 Posts
On my 2014 FLHTK the manual says it will activate if the outside air temperature is 80 or above. If that's still the case for 2015 then it would seem to be working correctly.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
bought a car 15 years ago or so that when you turned on the defrosters the ac turned on also- took it to the dealer and the service manager and all the techs were baffled why it was happening- saleslady walks by hears the conversation and says its to make the defrosting faster because the air is dryer -

it was a real hoot-

·
Banned
71 Posts
bought a car 15 years ago or so that when you turned on the defrosters the ac turned on also- took it to the dealer and the service manager and all the techs were baffled why it was happening- saleslady walks by hears the conversation and says its to make the defrosting faster because the air is dryer -

it was a real hoot-
But she was correct....still works the same way today . :)

·
Registered
12,072 Posts

it was a real hoot-
In the late 60s and 70s I was in the auto parts business. Used to be that a car's AC system didn't get used all winter then in the spring when the owner started using the AC the compressor seal had dried out and needed to be replaced. Sometimes a costly job. So, by wiring the vehicle so anytime the defroster was used the AC compressor was also turned on it kept the seal(s) from drying out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ah, yes. Philrod is correct. I just got out the owner's manual and it states that the system will go "active" when the engine temperature reaches a preset, or when ambient temperature is above a certain level. I also remember a post somewhere that the ambient temp above 80 degrees will cause it to activate. So...it is doing what it should be doing. I'll just turn the system off until the summer gets here. Thanks to all of you that chimed in.
Ride far...Ride safe.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, Aaron, you did hijack the thread, but that's OK. Some good info was put out about A/C systems in cars that didn't really cost anybody anything other than a few minutes.
I teach auto air conditioning. The A/C's job is to cool, clean and dehumidify the air before it goes through the heater core. So when the system is in the defrost mode, the air is dried before it gets heated. This not only helps to defrost the windshield, but also all the other windows. The removal of water can be evidenced by the dripping of water from the car beneath the passenger. You will notice this more on humid summer days when the car has been parked after having run the air conditioner.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Is the EITMS only on the touring models?

I haven't bought my new Fat Boy yet, so I'm curious...

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
It's on the Dyna's as well. Just not as easy to turn on an off.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts