Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Harley is offering a free Engine Idle Temperature Management System reflash for all 2007 and 2008 Touring models. At hot temperature idoling or low throttle hot running it shuts off the fuel to the rear cylinder allowing the head to cool.
Being 5'6" leaves my thighs rather close to the engine and while I haven't been cooked yet, it sounds like it is a sure thing to happen in the next local parade.

Now for my questions:
Even thought the MoCo says it is purely for rider comfort, is it incorrect to think that anything that helps in heat reduction when air flow is low is good for the engine? Has anyone done this? Does it help? Do you recommend it?

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You so funny. :)

My dogs ran outside and began barking like all get out. I left the chat room, went out to quiet them down and find out what was going on. After that, yes, I finally went night night.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Harley is offering a free Engine Idle Temperature Management System reflash for all 2007 and 2008 Touring models. At hot temperature idoling or low throttle hot running it shuts off the fuel to the rear cylinder allowing the head to cool.
Being 5'6" leaves my thighs rather close to the engine and while I haven't been cooked yet, it sounds like it is a sure thing to happen in the next local parade.

Now for my questions:
Even thought the MoCo says it is purely for rider comfort, is it incorrect to think that anything that helps in heat reduction when air flow is low is good for the engine? Has anyone done this? Does it help? Do you recommend it?
Unless you do alot of parades or get stuck in traffic alot I think it's a waste of time to have it done. When it gets that hot I don't think your leg would notice when the program kicked in. However, it won't hurt anything. If you take your bike in for service or other work you might have them do it. There is also a free one time uninstall.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anyone? This reflash sounds like it makes sense, but the fact that they offer a free unisnstall make me hesitate. I don't have anywhere near enough knowlede to make the decision on my own.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Took my '08 EGlide to have some thing checked, I asked the tech to do the re-flash he said it was already on and that he didn't have to re-flash..mmmm :rolleyes:

It does get a bit hot but it's in traffic with 90+ degree heat so..expected
Hopefully the install of duals will help a bit.

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
I dont have personal experience but reading post #1 It sounds like it was made for the parade. It's keeping you cooler by keeping your engine cooler. Win/win. Maybe there is some feature of this that is undesirable, Maybe a slow start when you are ready to open it up. No big deal if your not a speed demon. Any way with the download being reversable then it's a no brainer in my book.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Ya, the temperature management program in the ECM is quite an intricate thing.
I remember when I went to school for the new EFI system, a lot of time was taken in explaining this program.
Its not just as simple as it might appear - but I would say do it, for your own comfort - and the bike's!

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ya, the temperature management program in the ECM is quite an intricate thing.
I remember when I went to school for the new EFI system, a lot of time was taken in explaining this program.
Its not just as simple as it might appear - but I would say do it, for your own comfort - and the bike's!
So then, can you answer the question why would a person load it and then decide to unload it?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I do not have the update on my bike but I did manage to solve my heat issues that were unbearable at lights. I have bassani power curves on my 07 Ultra. Without any programmin the bike ran great but just hot as hell. I went ahead and put a power commander on with the stock MAP and I can tell you the differance in temp is amazing. I didnt notice much of a performance gain or loss so I figure I got pretty lucky.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts