Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently purchased a 97 Electra Glide Classic. Was an Indian rider for 10 years prior to having to sell my bike do to possible house forecloser. Well I must say I'm loving the new ride. On my old bike I installed different shocks to lower my ride height. My question is with the EGC having rear air suspension would I lose a lot of comfort to my ride if I replace the shocks with different shocks to give me a lower ride? Also is there a recommended shock length to install so one doesn't bottom out? Is lowering the front end recommended for lowering the ride height? I'm 5'8 180 my wife is 5'4 140. Any help would be great

Thanks

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,145 Posts
Lower for looks or rider comfort?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
More for rider comfort but can't rule out look. Being only 5'8 I'd like to have more foot plant down at stops. So Comfort is #1 reason but like I say I do care what my bike looks like. I've also heard that putting on different shocks that will not longer allow you to use the air suspension will give you a crappy ride.

·
On Probation
2,205 Posts
Look into Progressive shocks. You can lower the rear and get a better ride than the stock air shocks and they aren't too expensive.

·
Administrator
13,275 Posts
Just be careful, any lowering will reduce your lean angle, thus reducing your clearance for cornering.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Street Glide shocks are a dime a dozen these days. They are 1" shorter than your shock and bolt right on. 12"eye to eye, any year will work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts