Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
The Black Knight
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased the fairing light bar for my '09 Electra Glide. The first step in the installation instructions is to remove the front portion of the batwing fairing. I know the 3 star-screws which hold the windshield on also hold the top of the fairing assembly together. How do I completely separate the 2 halves of the fairing in order to connect the lights from the lightbar to the bike's wiring harness?

Jim

·
Old Member
2,896 Posts
Put a towel over the front fender and remove the headlight rim and headlight. Remove the windshield screws from the front. Windshield has to come forward then up. Remove the side screws from the back of the fairing and finally the two hidden screws at the bottom, from the back, just inside of the fork tubes above the lower triple tree. Then gently pull the outer fairing away.

PS: Welcome Jim

·
The Black Knight
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Hawkmann. I plan on doing this installation on Monday. I will also be installing the Air Temperature and Oil Pressure gauges.

PS: Thanks, I've waited 27 years to get back on a bike. Now that it's just the wife and me again I pulled the trigger and can't wipe the smile from my face.

·
Road Glide
348 Posts
Or put a towel on the front fender, put a pair of socks over the passing lamps. No need to remove the head lamp trim.
Remove the three screws from the wind shield and carefully lift out the screen, yu may have to prise the inner and outer apart a little, then place it somewhere safe.Remove the two torx screws at the bottom between the triple trees, then the two torx screws you can see on the mid outer edges. The outer cannot fall because of the passing lamps, carefully lift it away and over the lamps ,unplug the head lamp plug and place the outer on another towel somewhere safe.
Now drill the hole after you measure at least three times. If it's the light bar I'm thinking of with the LED turn signals built in, you have to assemble the wires into the plugs. They plug into the bike near the speakers, so check you have it wired right before you put the outer back on.
One last thing, buy yourself a shop manual, it will be the best $50 or $60 you spend

·
The Black Knight
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, 88.
I'm going to take your advice and pick up the manual. I also purchased the smart siren to finish the alarm system. To my surprise the illustrations for installing the siren do not match the '09 model. They say it installs on the right side but it actually goes on the left side. I figured it out by taking both sides apart and the seat off. Nothing matched the installation paperwork. It's on and working fine but this led me to thinking the manual will be a good thing to have.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If it's anything like yhe evo's it's very simple.

First take off the Outer Headlight Ring.
Second take off the app 8 screws that hold the headlight housing to the outer fairing, (this save the time from taking the 3 headlight ring screws out and the headlight) then remove the headlight and unplug it.
Third take off the light bar, loosen the top two bolts and remove the bottom two. MAKE SURE YOU COVER THE FENDER with something so the bar doesnt fall on it.
Fourth just loosen the four nut's just inside of the headlight hole. There are two on the left and two on the right. The outer fairing should then just slide straight forward and off of the four studs.

It's pretty simple just dont drop the light bar.

Hope this helps you out.

·
Retired citizen
23,351 Posts
No need to remove the lights . Take out 7 #27 torx screws , take off the windshield and pull the fairing up and away then unplug the light inside .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts