Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why does it require a dealership to install the HD radio in a 08 Electra Glide ? This is what the description says anyway. Has anyone installed their own HD radio in an 08 EG ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Why does it require a dealership to install the HD radio in a 08 Electra Glide ? This is what the description says anyway. Has anyone installed their own HD radio in an 08 EG ?
You can do the majority of the labor yourself, but when you get done it won't work.

The last step is the radio has to be programmed with the Digital Technician.... it's the expensive laptop computer dealerships have. Let's them diagnose bikes and other things as well (program security fobs, etc.). All things electronic.

Ask your dealership how much they'll charge to do that... Ours (where I used to work) would probably do it for free because it will take ALL of about 5 minutes.

Installing the radio is cake.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You can do the majority of the labor yourself, but when you get done it won't work.

The last step is the radio has to be programmed with the Digital Technician.... it's the expensive laptop computer dealerships have. Let's them diagnose bikes and other things as well (program security fobs, etc.). All things electronic.

Ask your dealership how much they'll charge to do that... Ours (where I used to work) would probably do it for free because it will take ALL of about 5 minutes.

Installing the radio is cake.
Intersting. I know this is an older thread but I just install a HK radio in my 08 EGS with stock speakers. All the wiring was there. I just installed the radio, speakers, hooked up an antenna and turned it on. Works well. No need to go to the dealer at all.

·
Boooya!!!
2,767 Posts
i install mostly pioneer radios on harleys. i figured out the resistor values fot the handlebar controls and they work fine. the biketronics and all other adaptors seem to have too much lag time on the controls. also the pioneer gives many more options to add as far as iod or sattelie radio controls. costs about $500 installed but if you are crafty you can install yourself.

·
Registered
33 Posts
kenwood on flht!

hello sir.i have installed on my flht 2003 a kenwood and it works fine.i can say better than the original as i can make an mp3 cd or wma,and play on my bike.i would like to ask you if you know about any adaptor that i can have so i can use the radio hand controls of my bike.
thank you for your time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts