Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some people here may have noticed I haven't been posting much lately. That's an assumption on my part as I can't really determine that. But bear with me for a minute or two. This is kind of hard to write.

Last November, durning a Dr visit in preparation for a procedure, I found out I have dilated cardiomyopathy with no known cause. Laymen's terms, heart failure. Huge surprise to me as I had no symptoms. I've been put on & taken off & changed dosages for several meds trying to make things work for me. Difficult time as most meds have some weird side effects. Slowly got worse. To the point that last week, my heart rate was a constant 35 beats per minute. Don't try to get that low at home. PM me first so I can talk you out of it! Off to the Dr office, examine and poof, special ride in a red & white van with flashing lights to the hospital. No choice.

More tests, pokes and prods, schedules arranged and Monday I had a pacemaker installed. Hence the thread title.

I was awake for most of the procedure and as soon as I was back in the hospital room, I felt so much better. Heart rate set to 70. I feel pretty beat up and when I see the Dr next week, I'm going to ask him about that. Must have been a violent task for him. I'm sore like hit by a bus, bruised, and my chest hair is missing. Probably take a couple weeks to settle out but everyone told me I'm going to be fine. These new pacemakers self adjust for activity level, record and transmit data to the Dr and can even act as a defibrillator if necessary. All in a can the size of a pocket watch.

Dr said I can do anything I want. With one important caution. EMI. Electric fields generated by certain pieces of equipment can cause problems for my ignition system. Still gathering information on that but it appears I can still ride if I want. Do I want? Oh hell yes!

I plan on being around for some time to come. Should be able to adjust to this new normal. Just feeling this good now and enjoying life again makes it all worth the pain.

Question though. Anyone else have a pacemaker? Would be great to compare notes.

Hope all ya'll are doing well. Thanks for tolerating me.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
DO NOT hook it up to the canbus. The bikes system can't handle it. But I am betting you can. Good thoughts, positive hopes, and prayers for you that all will be fine.

·
Try'n to behave
5,636 Posts
Glad to hear ya got it worked out in your favor!

Dr.'s are anything BUT gentle during a procedure. Sometimes they have to be, but other times I think it's habit.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hadn't thought about staying away from the canbus. I'll add that to my list!

Bruising is minimal but both my shoulder and breastbone are still sore. And there are a couple of raw abrasions on my chest I need to ask about!

Dr did a great job of avoiding my shoulder tattoo. At least as far as I can tell right now. No matter, I'm still here and able to show off the tat and the new scar!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts