Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed a Biketronics after market radio on my 1998 Classic. During the process I removed some abandoned wiring from the original owner (CB and other abandoned taped off wires) and found a bundle under the tank going to the luggage box and some added aftermarket lighting that appeared to be "pinched" into a tight area. Loosened the tank and re-positioned the wires.

After completing the radio install it appears that something may be draining the battery. It went dead overnight. Put it on my tender and the next day was reading 12.7 volts and the bike started up without any problems. However before re-installing the fairing and other parts I decided to leave it off the tender and see what happens. after being off the tender for 4 - 6 hours the voltage dropped to 12.3 volts.

Purchased the bike from another so I am not sure how old the battery but suspect at least a few years old.

From what I read a drop can be expected as the bike sits but was concern about this much of a drop.

Should the drop concern me - a short in a wire? Battery needs replacement?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,015 Posts
You need to find out what the draw is when everything is off. Install a multimeter set on milliamps between negative battery cable and negative battery post. On my '07 Electra Glide, there is a 4 milliamp draw for radio presets and clock. If you have more, start pulling fuses until the draw stops. Then you can start tracing that system for the draw.
If you don't have a serv.manual with wire codes, just start pulling and wiggling wires until the draw stops, then isolate. Working on someone elses wiring is not fun.
Note; give the system 15-30 seconds to settle down after you connect the meter between bat. & ground. My bike draws a lot more until the security goes to sleep.
 

·
Retired citizen
Joined
·
23,369 Posts
No shit ... in and out like that and no clue what fixed the problem ... don't ya love it !!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am not able to explain the final issue. I check all fuses and they were good, discounted the various connectors on the new radio and reconnected. Sprayed down all the connections with electronic cleaner. Cut some of the "older tie wraps" that looked very tight and reconnected with new ones. Disconnected all the items connected to the battery (did find one old wire connected that had been cut at the connection but not removed) Reconnected all the battery connections and recharged on my tender. Battery charged and have not had an issue since.
Sorry, I wish I could point to one issue but can't.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top