Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Again! I have lost count of the number of times, I have pulled the tanks to chase them. This morning, right front running light was out, everything else was working. Stepped inside for a moment, came out, the running light was on, and the low beam was off, it was on. Smacked the top to the tanks, and it came on. Got to work, spots on, low beam out again. Every Time it has been the rearmost plug at the frame. I am to the point of cutting the plugs off and soldering the damn wires together.

Anyone know of quality replacement plugs? At this point, I do not care, if needed I will replace all of those plugs even if they are from a newer model or any other application, or just solder the damn wires.

Ideas?

·
Retired citizen
24,277 Posts
What color are the connectors ?

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are rectangular, white, one half snaps into the frame, the other snaps into it. It always is the brown wire, power coming in from the battery.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Again! I have lost count of the number of times, I have pulled the tanks to chase them. This morning, right front running light was out, everything else was working. Stepped inside for a moment, came out, the running light was on, and the low beam was off, it was on. Smacked the top to the tanks, and it came on. Got to work, spots on, low beam out again. Every Time it has been the rearmost plug at the frame. I am to the point of cutting the plugs off and soldering the damn wires together.

Anyone know of quality replacement plugs? At this point, I do not care, if needed I will replace all of those plugs even if they are from a newer model or any other application, or just solder the damn wires.

Ideas?
Go to Radio Shack and you can get the correct sockets and pins , along with the correct crimping tool . Replace your loose sockets and pins , reassemble with some dielectric grease and you're all set . :thumbsup :thumbsup

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Been there, down that, still have the problem. Grrrrr. I was thinking maybe the quality was not there with their parts. I bought some from Digikey, the only difference I could see, is the half that snaps into the frame. The new ones do not have the clips, so they do not snap into the frame.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Been there, down that, still have the problem. Grrrrr.
And its a plug and not a broken wire problem ??????? :what?

Have you tried praying to the Gremlin Bells ???? :)

You may want to get a little more slack in the cable (rearrange how cable lays) , so the plugs are not under tension . Tighten up on the sockets to the point that its hard to get them to plug into each other .

All I know to tell you . :dunno

·
Registered
4 Posts
Gremlin ender

I had the same issue with a harness from the ignition.
I used zip ties. Bugger has slipped out yet. { I did use black so they would blend it}
works great on a loose harness. One around the top, one around the bottom, one to cinch the two together. clip ends, done!
:biking:

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, finally got a chance to work on it, and now I am really stumped. So let's walk through the process and see if anyone catches anything.

When turning the ign on, all lights come on, running, spots, low beam headlamp. After less than two minutes headlamp goes out, flipping to high gets the light on, but no low beam. Turn off ign, wait about five minutes, low beam works again for about two minutes, then goes out. This happens spots on or off, although it does is faster with them on.

With the spots off, front running lights and turns are bright, with the spots on runnings are bright, but turns very dim. Front and rear have been upgraded with CD run/turn/stops (rear) with the recommended load equalizers.

Now I'm really confused, sometimes you get wrapped around the axle with stuff and then cannot see anything.

With the Hells Canyon Rally in less than two weeks, I am just at the point of loading the sumb*tch on a trailer and dropping it off at a shop.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Or screw it, and run the high beam.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No telltale tink that you would expect to hear with a cb. I suspect something pulling too much, as you said. Maybe the dimmer switch?

·
Banned
71 Posts
No telltale tink that you would expect to hear with a cb. I suspect something pulling too much, as you said. Maybe the dimmer switch?
A dirty ground will heat up and break contact , then cool off and make contact again .

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Still no resolution to the issue, it is still intermittent. Although a new wrinkle has appeared, when turning the switch on, the neutral light is coming on, it stopped working back a bit ago. After starting, it dims and the turns will not work. If I ever so slightly move the knob back toward off, the neutral goes off and the turns work again. Not sure if that would be the switch or connections. I just ran the high beam all through the rally.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Still no resolution to the issue, it is still intermittent. Although a new wrinkle has appeared, when turning the switch on, the neutral light is coming on, it stopped working back a bit ago. After starting, it dims and the turns will not work. If I ever so slightly move the knob back toward off, the neutral goes off and the turns work again. Not sure if that would be the switch or connections. I just ran the high beam all through the rally.
I'd lean more towards the switch being the problem.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
That's my thought as well, it's an aftermarket. Have to take paperwork in to verify ownership before HD will order a replacement. Maybe there is a reason the a/m are way cheaper?

Neutral switch?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts