Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The turn signals work sometimes, the emergency lights don't work, and the speedo light is in and out. Have checked the fuses and tried new fuses in their place but the problem keeps repeating. When I press the opposite turn light the turn signal shuts off, but the opposite turn signal does not always illuminate. The headlights and horn work every time.

I think it is the TSM, but was hoping someone can help me out before I fork out a good amount of money and buy the wrong thing.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Driving me crazy trying to figure this one out. :loco

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The solder is solid in the ignition switch, not even corrosion or rust. Will keep tracing the wiring and hopefully find a loose connection or short.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
The solder is solid in the ignition switch, not even corrosion or rust. Will keep tracing the wiring and hopefully find a loose connection or short.
Had an ignition where the key fit loosely, and every time I hit a good bump it behaved like you describe. The switch assembly had gotten worn.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Retired citizen
22,094 Posts
Unplug the connector from the TSM mounted to the rear fender under the seat. Key on test for B+ at the O/W wire, should read battery volts. Next fashion a jumper wire and jump from the O/W pin to the B and V pins respectively, directional lights should light front and rear. (Brown is right and Violet is left). Next use a multimeter and test for B+ at the W/B and W/V pins while pressing the right and left turn buttons, should read B+ when pressed.
If those all test good the TSM is faulty. If not troubleshoot the wiring and switches.

·
Retired citizen
22,094 Posts
Also before replacing the TSM test the turn switches. Depending on Sportster model the switch connectors are located inside the headlight bucket or inside the handlebar nacelle.
Unplug both 6 place connectors. Test the side that doesn't work, the right will be the orange/white to the white/brown and the left will be the orange/white to the white/violet pins. Put the meter test probes into the connector pins and push the signal buttons, there should be continuity. The side that doesn't work should measure the same as the side that does or the switch is bad.
If the switches test good then it's a good bet the TSM is faulty.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts