Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went for a 300 mile ride. Parked the bike and all was well. Get back on it today and:

Rode 2 miles to get gas. As I was slowing at a light, it quit. Started right back up. As I was slowing to pull into the station it quit again. Started right up.

Got back on the road and noticed the GPS map was several hundred feet behind where I actually was. Shut it down restarted the GPS, and my location was better but the bike icon had me way off the road.

Then noticed the speedometer was not working nor was the odometer. Tach was fine.

Check engine light came on.

Gave up and headed back home.

Then the self cancelling turn signals did not cancel.

Geeze! Where do I start looking for a problem or don't even try and bring it to a dealer?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Okay, i will post this again:
1. Handlebar run switch to OFF
2. Hold down the trip reset button while turning the ignition switch to RUN
3. Release the trip button as the gauges sweep. This runs the Diagnostic program.

Cycle through the menu using the trip button:
Quick tap of the button is NEXT.
Long press of the button is Erase.

Turn the ignition switch to OFF at any time to leave the diagnostic.

If you get to a point where it says "Erase Code" or whatever but, you don't want to. Just turn the ignition OFF.
Then re run the test. If you think you accidently erased something that you shouldn't have... The next time you run the engine, the code will reappear IF it is a CURRENT code. You really can't hurt anything by erasing the codes. They will come back if they are active. My suggestion is to run through it once or twice, without erasing anything. Just to get the feel of how the menu works. Then write down any codes before erasing them.

Good luck!
My buddy just called to ask me to go help him with his bike. So I will be out of here until this evening.
Latter..

·
Retired citizen
26,071 Posts
My guess is that the battery is drained. Fully charged battery will measure 12.8 volts. Might have a charging system issue as well.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
The turn signal, speedometer, and odometer issues immediately made me think you Speed Sensor looks like this....

Plumbing fixture Liquid Water Tap Fluid

Part # 21 on the diagram......

Rectangle Font Line Map Parallel

Reactions: 1/2 Ton

·
Just Ride
4,152 Posts
It's just a little bit of metal shavings, but I believe you found the problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts