Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Probably another dumb question. I was trying to tighten my mirror yesterday and busted the stupid stem off in the blinker ball receptacle and Harley dealership didn't have anything. Looked on Craigslist and found a newer set of blinkers and nice mirrors from a gentleman by me that came off a softtail (newer blinkers). They had 3 wires, a black, violet, and blue. My blinker wires had 2, a copper wire and a silver wire. I proceeded to play and try to figure out which combination would work. I wound up wiring the silver from my sporty to the black on the blinker and the copper from sporty to the blue. I then used the heat shring tubing on ea. individual wire, then a larger one around them all. I was going to post this last night but hated to ask another stupid ass question, (maybe I should have). The blinker did not flash by themselves while I held down the blinker switch so I figured I'd just flash on and off as needed as the flashers did not always work before with the stock ones.

I rode the bike this afternoon about 50 mi. and all was great. Went out for another ride this evening for about 75 mi. About a third of the way through the ride the blinker indicator on the console started to slightly flash on (very dim), I would hit the blinker switch and it'd go away. On the way back the light got brighter and did not go off when I hit the turn signal button. While the indicator light was on the right rear turn signal was lit about halfway (the blinker was about as bright as the indicator on console). This made me question... what the hell is going on. Man I was ready to start riding to work, finally.

About 5 minutes from home cruising at about 65 Mph. I had a sudden loss of power, I mean it felt like it went from a 1200 to a 100 and this is no joke. I made it to one stoplight and didn't want to idle very well at all, went through and made it home. Let it try to idle for a minute then die. Started it and it backfired a few times pretty bad with a few BIG flames. I turned off and thought well at least I got in 125 mi in today.

I assumed when I got home I'd tear apart the shrink and see the wires touching. I did open up the shirnk, separated the wires and nothing was touching. Did I screw something up? Is this cooincidence? Looks like I'm done riding.... again! But this time probably for a long time unless it's something simple and cheap. :(:(:(:(:(

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
How does it run if the signal wires are disconnected from the turn signals??
Is the battery fully charged??
Is there any problems with any of the ground wires??
Does the charging system check out OK??
Funky things happening with the turn signals could be a sign of a bad ground connection or the black wire should be hooked to ground and the other two wires to the lights.
Check with the guy You got the blinkers from and find out what year and model they are from, see if He has a shop manual for the bike the blinkers came off of and check the wiring diagram for the color codes and the specific job for each wire.If He does`nt have a shop manual check one out at the local librarie.
Keep us posted on how it is going.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Marty, after I got home and killed the engine I turned on the inginition and the lights were bright so the battery should be fine, I assumed it'd be dead and that was the problem. I tore into the insulation and nothing was touching on the blinkers so I did not bother to dissconnect and try to restart and I assumed it wouldn't matter. It ran great up till this evening. I'll have to call the guy and see if he knows.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts