Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I'm going to add some aux lighting to my ride (2012 FLHTP).

I currently do not have a multimeter in my toolbox, just wondering what I should look for before purchasing this device. Main purpose would be to help identify wiring, tracing them, check hot when acc on etc?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
4,733 Posts
Fluke makes good products. Honestly I think I used resistance just as much as voltage. I prefer analog over digital myself but good analogs are hard to come by cost effectively.

Try to get the electric diagnostic manual. Remember if you are checking for resistance, you are sending volts into the wire, checking the wrong pins on a connector will fry solid state devices.

Alligator clip attachments can make checks easier too.

Reactions: 1/2 Ton and sburns

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Fluke is the best, but costly.
Buy a small cheap one first (ie Harbor Freight cheapie), and you will see what features are important to you and the way you work.

The cheapie can later be tossed into the saddle bag when taking trips.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fluke is the best, but costly.
Buy a small cheap one first (ie Harbor Freight cheapie), and you will see what features are important to you and the way you work.

The cheapie can later be tossed into the saddle bag when taking trips.
Thanks, I was thinking the same thing, I believe the Fluke is great, but overkill for me. I just want to wire up some extra lighting, not something I will be using very often.

·
Super Moderator
4,733 Posts
Just be careful! Was helping a buddy and his cheap meter lied to me and I took a 110 vac jolt while in the house.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Fluke meters are nice, but pricey. After I dropped my second one off the bike's seat onto the concrete floor, I went with a medium priced one that I got from Walmart. I don't really care if it's 12.1 or 12.2 volts for what I am usually doing. A agree with ematicic on analog models, but you rarely see them any more.

·
Registered
8 Posts

I currently do not have a multimeter in my toolbox, just wondering what I should look for before purchasing this device. Main purpose would be to help identify wiring, tracing them, check hot when acc on etc?

Thanks!
remember you can do a lot with a test light.
If you don't have experience with meters buy a $10 cheapie but invest in some better leads. ps: don't use it on mains.

·
Registered
57 Posts
having been in the repair business for almost 15 years (Mercedes) i can tell you at least for us the most important feature is the resistance feature. this will tell you weather you wire is good and the connection is good. if it is good the voltage will be good (mainly).

·
Registered
41,432 Posts
having been in the repair business for almost 15 years (Mercedes) i can tell you at least for us the most important feature is the resistance feature. this will tell you weather you wire is good and the connection is good. if it is good the voltage will be good (mainly).
Yup, cant test the stator without being able to measure resistance!

·
Super Moderator
13,076 Posts
But I thought resistance was futile?

Anyways, there are some pretty decent ones out there. I can't remember the brand of mine, but it works great and has a thick rubber cover that absorbs the many impacts of me dropping it. I usually keep a Harbor Freight version in my tool bag for those just in case moments.

Reactions: Kainam

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey all thanks for all the replies. I'll have to digest everything before buying the tool, all very helpful! (y)

·
Registered
3 Posts

Thanks!
I have one from Klein Tools, it was less than 100 bucks from Home Depot. I have had it for about 10 years. It has a clamp for current, but I primarily use that when testing home electrical, so it is not necessary. It has been reliable although I have replaced and upgraded the leads. Invest in a set of leads that have removable alligator clips because sometimes you need your hands free to work on things. They make different ones for different size wires and the smaller clips are useful in many cases.

At a minimum you will need voltage and resistance. Many of them have a tone setting which is extremely useful to test continuity (usually an image of a diode for this). Having auto range is useful as you do not need to switch between different levels. The one I have also has a button to switch between AC and DC rather than a selection on the dial.

I think this is now the current version of what I have.
Klein Tools 400 Amp AC/DC Digital Clamp Meter, Auto-Ranging-CL390 - The Home Depot

·
Registered
100 Posts
For just the BASIC Voltage & Continuity & Resistance :)
Harbor Freight has a bargain basement Digital METER that they will give you for FREE on occasion
or <less than $ 5.00 any day
I grab the Harbor-Freight item more than my $399.99 FLUKE-97 more times than NOT
COOP

Thanks!

·
Asylum Inmate
12,241 Posts
Seriously expensive, that link goes to a $53 dollar Fluke Meter ......... ?????? Tires are expensive that fluke is not expensive?

·
Registered
41,432 Posts
That Fluke isn't even in the "buy once, cry once" category. That's just in the buy once category.

Reactions: bbally

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I have two meters. One I bought from harbor freight for about $5. That one I use when mostly looking for shorts, opens, and 12V. The other is a fluke, it has something like a basic DC accuracy of 0.05% and is way overkill for most vehicle troubleshooting. Plus it doesn't have the zero ohm beeper that the harbor freight does. If I drop and break the cheap one, no big loss. It gets the most usage.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts