Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I have a question maybe someone could help. I have a 03 electra anniversary with the 88 engine. Stator been replaced battery and regulator and still very little charge at idle. On the open road I get 14-16 volts charge, but at idle I get no more than 10 volts which trigger the engine light. Also I'm getting oil in regulator plug. Any ideas to what's going on???

·
Proud Infidel
2,596 Posts
What's your idle speed?

Oil in the plug means you don't have a good seal. Should have put some black silicone around the plug for insurance when you installed the stator.

Sent from here to there.

·
Super Moderator
12,568 Posts
Did the '03 have engine codes?

Are you sure you have a good ground for the regulator?

Have you double checked you don't have a connection to ground from the stator? Did you replace the rotor? Could have been a chunk of magnet still floating around in there and tore up your new stator (ground test should confirm).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No...I didn't put any silicone around the plug. I will remember that from now on. My idle speed is around 8.5-9k rpm. Sitting at a red light my voltage meter reads about 10volts..not charging. There are no codes due to the bike charging at high rpm. At about 70-80 mph the bike charges 14-16 volts. I will re-check the regulator ground. Did a test with fluke to check stator...its good.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
You must mean 8.5 to 9 hundred RPMs. My Ultra doesn't charge at idle either. With a permanent magnet alternator I wouldn't expect it to.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Could be it's normal. My Ultra +/- 10 @ idle. Near 14 @ 65. 16 sounds high, though. Read a thread about it in the forum. Maybe search "stators" and find more info. Ken

1 - 6 of 6 Posts