Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 Road King with ETC. Having ridden all kinds of bikes for over forty years, I find ETC to be a RPITB (royal pain in the butt). Very unresponsive, kind of flat feeling, with a built in hesitation. Maybe they can be adjusted, I don't know, (Has anyone had their's adjusted to feel like a normal throttle?) Better yet, does anyone know of any kind of kit out there to retro fit real throttle cables? This bike has been a giant dissapointment, since all I heard about RK's was how great they are. This one is on it's second transmission, the first one had to be replaced immediately due to howling like an incomming artillery round when down shifted from 2nd to 1st gear. It took the dealer over a month to remedy the tranny problem, so I tend to stay away from them with problems. If anyone has an idea that might help, I would sure appreciate it. Thanks,
Greybeard

Oh yeah, if there is anyone out there that would like to trade an 07 RK Custom with similar mileage (about 3500) please contact me, I'd like to talk to you.

·
2007 Ultra Classic
1,285 Posts
Got a Monday build, did you?

I have heard from my Cop friends, that it does take a little experience riding the wireless for awhile and that once you get used to the new feel, there is no difference in control of the throttle.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I'm happy with it (08 RK) I'm just wondering how hard it would be to change to new grips or new bars with it? I do have the ABS

Got a Monday build, did you?

I have heard from my Cop friends, that it does take a little experience riding the wireless for awhile and that once you get used to the new feel, there is no difference in control of the throttle.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I can see it now you won't be allowed to rev the bike at lights anymore big brother will have HD progrma the throttle so it won't rev past 1200 rpm unless the clutch is out and the trans is in a gear. I hate this kinda stuff.

·
Banned
65 Posts
I feel the same on the throttle thing. It just doesn't feel natural. I have an 08 RG and really like the bike just not crazy over the throttle feel.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have the '08 Ultra, it is a lot easier on your wrist on long rides/ Yes, it does take time getting use to it. It is smoother that the cable. Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have an 08 EG and the throttle felt different at first but not enough to bother me. As long as I do not have the idle problem that I have been hearing about, I will be happy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have an 09 Ultra, it took about 5 seconds to get used to the throttle. I like the idea of no play in the throttle.
As far as the idle problem, I found that as long as you do not touch the throttle when shutting down the bike there shouldn't be a problem.

I'm told when shutting down the bike the ecm re-zeros the throttle and if I am reaching for the front brake I may be rolling the throttle past the zero, then shutting the bike off it re-zeros the idle.

I could be wrong but it's just my 2cents.

If you are having a problem with hesitation, maybe you should take it to another dealer to take a look at it.

In any case good luck.

·
Old Member
2,896 Posts
I have an 09 FLHX and have put on 5000 miles so far and just love the ETC. Never a problem and absolutely no hesitation.

·
Johnny Dangerously
36 Posts
I have an '09 RKC with the ECM. Technically I don't think there's a way to adjust the throttle per se, but you can adjust the feel and snap back by tightening (or loosening) it against the handlebars (e.g. loosen the grip then push it in or pull it out where you get the right feel then tighten it back down). Takes a bit of getting used to, but that worked for me.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I like ETC - for what it's worth

·
Registered
473 Posts
It did not take me long to get used to the ETC, and now that I am used to it I do not think about it. I had a problem with the idle, I had to reset it every other time. I figured out if I let it idle for like 20 seconds before I shut it off to let it settle down its fine. I have not had to reset it in months.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I'm happy with it (08 RK) I'm just wondering how hard it would be to change to new grips or new bars with it? I do have the ABS

Not to hard did it on mine .. if you go real tall and need brake cables the dealer has to bleed the abs at least this is what i was told and according to the manual looks to be true unless you have their scantool..

Worst was feeding the wires though the new bars

I like the TBW myself doesn't bother me

·
SNAFU organizer
4,127 Posts
I think, at least on a Ultra Classic I would rather have a wireless headset system first before they screwed with the throttle.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hawk and Lightning, how do you guys like the rear cylinder shutoff? Also, do either of you have ABS on your bikes?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Yes...the throttle reaction is adjustable. The new TTS Tuner has values you can change to make the throttle body react to the twist of the throttle grip.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have not used the EITMS (Engine Idle Temperature Management System) on the bike yet. It has been a bit cold here in NJ. The EITMS can be armed or de-armed, When armed there are specific conditions that must be met before the system shuts down the fuel to the rear cylinder. Yes I do have ABS. I have only intentionally applied the brakes hard enough for the ABS to engage just to see what they felt like.

Hopefully I won't need them.

·
Old Member
2,896 Posts
Hawk and Lightning, how do you guys like the rear cylinder shutoff? Also, do either of you have ABS on your bikes?
I have not yet used the EITMS yet but am glad to have the option. I also did not get the ABS as I am not comfortable with it after 35 years of riding and have never had brakes as good as the brembos I now have.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yea, that electronic throttle lag can be annoying - especially at slower speeds.

Vance and Hines just came out with a new "Throttlepak" that actually lets you control your throttle like you used to be able to with cables! The best $200 you can spend on a throttle-by-wire bike!

I found it on sale here: Vance & Hines 1020-1525 66001 Throttlepak Throttle Management System

^^ Hopefully it is ok to post the link - not trying to spam, just spread the word about a great product!

If the link gets removed, and you are interestested, just message me, and I will tell you where I got it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts