Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for an emergency drive belt repair kit for my 2015 Road King, my first Harley, which is not yet delivered to me. I am actually gathering my equipment. A service manual is on top of my list but this is scheduled to be at hand a few weeks later than the bike.

I will feel more secure if I have a drive belt repair kit on board, even if this is not very likely to be actually needed. If I ever need it, I am sure I will need it desperately because it is almost certain that the kit will be my best option, by far. There are only a few Harley dealers around so vast distances may be in question. Besides, Murphy will make fun of the grin in my face, if my drive belt gives-up in an isolated area with no GSM signals (aka; scenic road in the middle of nowhere).

I am looking for an online source (no e-Bay please) in the USA but I cannot determine the proper kit for my bike. I don’t know its belt size. I even don’t know what else I should know for choosing the correct one. Could you please be of help?

Thank you.

·
Registered
11,028 Posts
Orhan, maybe some of the mechanics and more experienced riders will chime in and help you get what you are seeking, but, I gotta tell ya, I never even heard of any kind of emergency repair for a Harley drive belt. I suppose you could get the right sized rock lodged in there and tear up a belt but it is my understanding the dang things hold up really well.

My big concern is having a flat. I carry a tire plug kit and also a small Slime brand air compressor that I can plug into my cig lighter outlet. Of course that is in addition to my cell phone and AAA card with the optional AAA RV/Motorcycle coverage and the plug kit and compressor are mainly for if I have a flat somewhere without cell phone coverage. :)

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,125 Posts

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Orhan, maybe some of the mechanics and more experienced riders will chime in and help you get what you are seeking, but, I gotta tell ya, I never even heard of any kind of emergency repair for a Harley drive belt. I suppose you could get the right sized rock lodged in there and tear up a belt but it is my understanding the dang things hold up really well.

My big concern is having a flat. I carry a tire plug kit and also a small Slime brand air compressor that I can plug into my cig lighter outlet. Of course that is in addition to my cell phone and AAA card with the optional AAA RV/Motorcycle coverage and the plug kit and compressor are mainly for if I have a flat somewhere without cell phone coverage. :)

This^^^. Get AAA or Hog membership or something with roadside assistance.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,449 Posts

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,125 Posts
Not sure either of those would be helpful in Turkey.

Well if in Turkey and broke down... Maybe a hash break is in order... :dunno

·
Registered
39,434 Posts
I caught a rock once on my EVO. It just punched a hole in the belt. Could continue on till a replacement belt was ordered and mailed to me. Also, EVO's had a wider belt than the newer bikes have, AND I was running without any lower belt guard when it happened.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Thank you Louisville Joe. I know how unlikely this is but better be sure than sorry.

As for flats, yes, this is more likely and this is another subject I need to know before making a disposition. The dealer assured me that my laced wheels will be fitted with tubeless tires but I have read somewhere that even with tubeless tires, there may be OEM tubes in the tires! I wonder if this is true. I need to see what the tire configuration will be, first. Then, I will have some tire repair means on board as well. I always did with my earlier bikes too and I never had to use it, let alone having to repair a final drive system. On the other hand, precautions enhance the grin in my face when I am on two wheels.

They make em... My thing is belts rarely break clean where one of these may work... Belts usually tear and shred.

I think I even posted a product before... I'll see if I can dig it up.

Actually this one comes with more than the one I am speaking about

RONNIE'S HARLEY-DAVIDSON
Thank you misinlink. An entire belt with open ends and a link is exactly what I am looking for. However, the fitment information on the page doesn't seem to list my bike. Will this fit a 2015 Road King?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This^^^. Get AAA or Hog membership or something with roadside assistance.
I have an equivalent to AAA and I don't know about Hog membership in Turkey but the dealer may be very far away.

Not sure either of those would be helpful in Turkey.
Me too. Besides, I may tour abroad as well.

Well if in Turkey and broke down... Maybe a hash break is in order... :dunno
I hope it doesn't break at all but if it does, my understanding is that a 370 kilogram immobile Harley at this end will be cast in the same mold as a 816 pound immobile Harley at your end.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I caught a rock once on my EVO. It just punched a hole in the belt. Could continue on till a replacement belt was ordered and mailed to me. Also, EVO's had a wider belt than the newer bikes have, AND I was running without any lower belt guard when it happened.
Thank you Kainam. Mine is not EVO and I have no intention to modify it, let alone the belt guard but still, such a kit would enhance my peace of mind.

·
Retired citizen
23,348 Posts
I've had to replace just 1 failed drive belt in the past 8 years, just saying. Customer bike.

·
Banned
71 Posts
According to my local Dealer, all of the 2015 drive belts remain the same as earlier year models . :)

·
Registered
39,434 Posts
I've only had one failed belt in almost 20 years.
Nearly 30 years of belt drive bikes for me, 1 fail.

Not worth worrying about a repair kit IMO.

·
Super Moderator
12,729 Posts
Nearly 30 years of belt drive bikes for me, 1 fail.

Not worth worrying about a repair kit IMO.
A spare tire would probably make more sense. That's the one thing I have been towed for the most (3 times?)
:rofl:

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you all for your inputs. I appreciated them all. The general consensus seems to be that drive belts may fail, albeit seldom, if at all. This is exactly why I am planning to have an emergency kit on board. Besides, I may encounter less than perfect roads more often than most of you do. This may enhance my risk of getting a sharp stone or whatever between the belt and the pulley. I was in Connecticut this summer and I made a few thousand miles by car, including journeys to NY and MA. Unsurprisingly, the majority of the roads were in better shape than the majority of the roads at this end. So were the ones in Illinois, when I had visited years ago.

As for the tires; I will have to see if my bike will have inner tubes or not. The dealer confirmed that I will have tubeless tires on laced wheels. However, rumors are that some factory installed tubeless tires on laced Harley wheels may have inner tubes! Does anyone happen to know if this rumor has any truth in it?

Carrying a plug kit and a mini-compressor for tubeless tires is something but trying to fix an inner tube on the road side is something else! Besides, tube failure is at least very scary in comparison. At most, it can even be fatal!

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
Check Harley web site. may tell you what the new 2015's are being fitted with. When you take delivery of your bike check tire sidewall, should say Tubeless unless the rim is not a tubeless rim, then you would need a tube. I would loosen air fitting after deflating the tire, if it moves and feels like its attached to something, then it would likely be tube in there. Ride Safe.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you SoftailBilly. No hope with Harley website. Even if I could find info on wheel/tire configuration, some things differ from the USA market and it is hardly possible to reach the list of variations. I think most of them are due to conformity to legal obligations. However, even some colors that are available at this end are not offered in the US market and vice-versa.

Anyway, I will eventually see the tires. Once I do, I will have no difficulty in determining if there are inner tubes in them or not. I wonder why a tubeless tire would be fitted with inner tubes. If they really are, I am afraid this would mean that the rims don’t conform to tubeless applications. Then again, if they are not, why Milwaukee would install tubeless outer tires in the first place? :confused

Have you ever heard about this rumor?

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
My front wheel is tube type with spokes. New Dunlop tire says tubeless on side wall with a tube inside. Guess they make them all tubeless now.?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts