Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I'm looking at picking up an enclosed trailer so that I can take the glide along for some get away enjoyment while visiting my wife's family. They're spread out all over the country, so I'm hoping to explore some of the local areas during the visits.

My question is: What's the smallest size I can get away with? After doing some rough measurements of our FLTRU, I'm wondering if I can make a V-nosed 5x8 work. I want to keep it small, so I don't have to haul all kinds of extra junk. I don't want to hear... "oh it looks like there's room for this washing machine in there, too. Can you bring it to your brother?"

My length estimate was about 8'6" So given the added 30+ inches in the V, I'm thinking there would be enough room for the wheel chuck, and I'd still have room to close the door in the rear.

Like I said, I'm not planning on hauling anything but the bike, and maybe a couple of small tool boxes, along with a spare hub. I'll be towing it with my pickup, so anything else that needs to come along can go in the truck.

After searching trailer threads here, it seems like everyone goes with 12' - 16' lengths for multiple machines. Is an 8' too short to be realistic for a single?

open to all input and experiences, you can even flame me for not just riding it, if you really have to.

Thanks in advance!

Mike

Attachments

·
Banned
71 Posts
Hello Everyone,

I'm looking at picking up an enclosed trailer so that I can take the glide along for some get away enjoyment while visiting my wife's family. They're spread out all over the country, so I'm hoping to explore some of the local areas during the visits.

My question is: What's the smallest size I can get away with? After doing some rough measurements of our FLTRU, I'm wondering if I can make a V-nosed 5x8 work. I want to keep it small, so I don't have to haul all kinds of extra junk. I don't want to hear... "oh it looks like there's room for this washing machine in there, too. Can you bring it to your brother?"

My length estimate was about 8'6" So given the added 30+ inches in the V, I'm thinking there would be enough room for the wheel chuck, and I'd still have room to close the door in the rear.

Like I said, I'm not planning on hauling anything but the bike, and maybe a couple of small tool boxes, along with a spare hub. I'll be towing it with my pickup, so anything else that needs to come along can go in the truck.

After searching trailer threads here, it seems like everyone goes with 12' - 16' lengths for multiple machines. Is an 8' too short to be realistic for a single?

open to all input and experiences, you can even flame me for not just riding it, if you really have to.

Thanks in advance!

Mike
You will need 9'6" for fender to fender clearance , 46" minimum for side to side clearance .

Do a google and you will find lots of them to look at . :)

·
Registered
803 Posts
A 5x8 with a V-nose is the smallest that you can go. Also the V-nose on a 5x8 is only 24" not 30". You will need a 5x10 if it is a flat front trailer. I have an ultra classic and it fits in my 5x8 V-nose perfectly with a wheel chock. It does get a little on the tight side putting the hold down straps on. Make sure you buy one with a side access door and at least 5' 6" interior height.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks to you both for your thoughts. The print I attached to my original post has the v-depth of 34 5/8" but I'm not sure if that's an inside or outside dimension.

this is the one I'm looking at: Motorcycle Trailers - 1610 Motorcycle Trailer - Featherlite Trailers

the 8 foot model with a 6'0" interior height.

Per your advice, I'll be sure to bring a tape measure along when I see one in person.

What type of wheel chock do you guys use?

thanks again!

·
Banned
71 Posts
thanks to you both for your thoughts. The print I attached to my original post has the v-depth of 34 5/8" but I'm not sure if that's an inside or outside dimension.

this is the one I'm looking at: Motorcycle Trailers - 1610 Motorcycle Trailer - Featherlite Trailers

Per your advice, I'll be sure to bring a tape measure along when I see one in person.

thanks again!
Wheel Chock Motorcycle Wheel Chock Wheel Chocks | etrailer.com

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
. . .What type of wheel chock do you guys use?
I like the kind that has the pivoting back stop. You roll over it, and it pivots up behind to lock the wheel in from both sides. They are very stable. No worries at all while you're cinching down the bike.

I don't trailer a lot, but I have one like that I use in my garage. It's free standing. I also used it with a rental trailer, and it works very well.

Get some good tie downs as well. I like the cam style, but ratchets work too. You just want something that will loop back on itself to keep the hook away from the paint or buy some soft loops.

·
Registered
803 Posts

thanks again!
My apologies, I assumed all enclosed 8ft long trailers were 5 ft wide. The featherlite that you are looking to purchase appears to be at least 6 ft wide, so it would have a longer V-nose on it. This trailer will be plenty big enough for your bike. For the wheel chock you should look at the (Lock and Load) wheel chock system, there is a video of it on Youtube. It can also be purchased on Ebay.

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
I use the Condor well chock. very secure with tie downs

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
+1 on the Condor. I use one in my ToyHauler RV.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow, great info there guys, thanks a bunch. Derick, I appreciate the photos. Fatcat, no need to apologize, looks like each company has their own dimensions. Wrgiacona, and dub, I'll check out the Condor. Seems like chasarms is in agreement with the rest of you, the chock that traps the wheel as you drive in is the way to go. And finally, thank you also, to webco for your advice on dimensions, and for the link to the wheel chock selection.

if I missed mentioning anyone above, thanks to you as well.

Might not be for a little while yet, still working on the wife ;) but everyone's information will be taken into consideration in a final decision.

I appreciate your time!

p.s. if anybody else cares to chime in, feel free!

·
Registered
635 Posts
Did you see the thread about the uhaul aluminum trailers for 14.99 per day. It is an open trailer but it may be a good option to see how it works for you.

A friend trailered his bike to Florida and the cost of gas was outrageous. He said he should have rented a bike while he was there, it would have been cheaper.

"U-Hauling my Fatboy"

·
Poser Member # 99
18,144 Posts
I bought a used 7x 14 ft tandem axle v-nose trailer . I bought for hauling and winter storage of my summer items during the winter .
2 full dressed bikes fit well ,if need be or 1 rides just fine with a Harbor Freight wheel chuck and some added hold downs in the floor

oh I paid 1600.00 for it 3 yrs ago it's 2007 14 ft v nose trailer

Attachments

·
Registered
275 Posts
I am wanting to sell my 6x12 and get a 7x14 cause my wife has a sporty now and it would be a better fit for two bikes and oh by the way the wheel chock in mine is the one from harbor freight for $59

1 - 15 of 15 Posts