Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 6x12 enclosed trailer and i want to be able to carry two bikes. First bike is my 14 Road King and then switch between my wife's friend's Dyna low rider and also some times our other friends night train. I going to put in two wheel chocks but would love to get some tips and tricks. And i know it would be ten times better to ride the bike.

·
Banned
71 Posts
I have an 6x12 enclosed trailer and i want to be able to carry two bikes. First bike is my 14 Road King and then switch between my wife's friend's Dyna low rider and also some times our other friends night train. I going to put in two wheel chocks but would love to get some tips and tricks. And i know it would be ten times better to ride the bike.
There are a few threads already about this. SEARCH is your friend. :thumbsup

:coffee:

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I would think that 6x12 would be a little tight for 2 bikes. Especially with 2 bikes with fairings and/or saddle bags. But with the 3 bikes you mention, you may be able to pull it off. Be sure you stagger the chocks so that the bikes handle bars will have a little more room.

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
I would think that 6x12 would be a little tight for 2 bikes. Especially with 2 bikes with fairings and/or saddle bags. But with the 3 bikes you mention, you may be able to pull it off. Be sure you stagger the chocks so that the bikes handle bars will have a little more room.
This.

I have put two Sportster Roadsters (widest handlebar sportster I think) on a 6x12 and they fit pretty good. I have also put two of them on a 5x10... that was TIGHT but it worked. Keep in mind these are both open trailers which made the lack of width easier to work with.

This being said what I would probably do is either stagger the bikes so that the handle bars are not aligned with each other. Then add metal motorcycle wheel chalks (I have always made them out of wood because I wasn't going to be towing a lot) as well as some system for keeping the back tires aligned.

Make sure you make the mounting points and such so that you can squeeze between the bikes and attach stuff. Otherwise once one is on you can't take the other off without the second one coming out....

Lastly, before building ANY of this do the math and figure out where the bikes need to be placed to give you 10-15% tongue weight on the trailer...last think you need is 40k worth of bikes swaying around like dogs tail.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Sorry for getting on this subject so late, was at OC bike week since last week. My experience, I have a 6x12. I had an 03 Ultra Classic and an 07 low rider in the trailer. Staggered of course and a little tight, but it's possible. I put the Classic on the L/S looking from the rear of the trailer and the Low rider on the R/S. The front tire of the L/R was about even with the rear most part of the small side door. Still had room to get in the trl. in the front and even put some gear there as well. Where there's a will there's a way. Two smaller bikes should give you more space. I just had to be carefull loading the L/R last as it was close to the bagger and the trl. side.

·
Asylum Inmate
11,742 Posts
This is my 7 X14. I stagger the chalks

·
Asylum Inmate
11,742 Posts
Looks good

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
just my opinion, but I would want that choke to be moved back some. I would want my front tie downs to have more room to be able to work with when tightening them down. Plus, it will give you more room to put other necessities...

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the front tie downs are mounted on the wheel chock and i put longer eye bolts that would go through the floor and into the metal frame underneath where i i have put flat washers,lock washer and nuts so it wouldn't move

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
and also i was wondering the straps on the back i came off the guards if front of the saddle bags will that hurt anything as I'm sure everyone can tell this is my first time trailing my bike and i am very thankful with all the info i have gotten

·
Banned
71 Posts
and also i was wondering the straps on the back i came off the guards if front of the saddle bags will that hurt anything as I'm sure everyone can tell this is my first time trailing my bike and i am very thankful with all the info i have gotten
That will work. Tie the front tire too.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I strapped my Road Glide across the seat using a piece of rubber mat under the strap to prevent marks on the seat. I didn't want the straps to rub on the saddle bags. I traveled 15hrs. last week to get to Myrtle Beach with no issues. I still checked it every time I stopped for loose straps or movement.

·
Former Lurker
2,923 Posts
I had a 7x14 that easily hauled two baggers. Chocks were a little staggered and still had a ton of extra room in the back. Front side door made loading easier. A cabinet w\ clothes bar up front held helmets and jackets. Vee nose also held spare.
Roadmaster 7x14 tandem axle.
Really rode nice.
I think I paid 4k new.

·
Registered
803 Posts
the front tie downs are mounted on the wheel chock and i put longer eye bolts that would go through the floor and into the metal frame underneath where i i have put flat washers,lock washer and nuts so it wouldn't move
Instead of having your soft ties looping though the handle bars have them loop around each fork just above the fender bolts. This way the straps will not loosen from the suspension of the bike going up and down when the trailer bounces. Also tape some of that stuff that looks like emery cloth below the rear tire, it will help to stop the rear from bouncing to the left or right.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I have that same CHOCK in my trailer (7x14 Tandem-axle) and it's bolted to the frame. I tie the front down same as you (have the Harley Chrome front fork plates) and only run one strap on the rear, thru the tire/rim. I put a towel between the strap and rim and have never had any issues. I've also installed the E-TRAC. If I have to haul two bikes I will stagger them. For camping trips or bike rallies, made the front cabinet which hold camping gear and stuff. So, wife and I pull bike out, setup cots with sleeping bags inside.

Attachments

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Instead of having your soft ties looping though the handle bars have them loop around each fork just above the fender bolts. This way the straps will not loosen from the suspension of the bike going up and down when the trailer bounces. Also tape some of that stuff that looks like emery cloth below the rear tire, it will help to stop the rear from bouncing to the left or right.
I loaded the bike a few mins. ago and tried like you said about strapped above the fender bolts and i did check to make sure it didn't hang up on the caliper and i like it that way a lot better. almost ready to pull out Saturday am going to Myrle Beach fall bike week

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have that same CHOCK in my trailer (7x14 Tandem-axle) and it's bolted to the frame. I tie the front down same as you (have the Harley Chrome front fork plates) and only run one strap on the rear, thru the tire/rim. I put a towel between the strap and rim and have never had any issues. I've also installed the E-TRAC. If I have to haul two bikes I will stagger them. For camping trips or bike rallies, made the front cabinet which hold camping gear and stuff. So, wife and I pull bike out, setup cots with sleeping bags inside.
glad you posted pics that gives me a few ideas for storage

·
Asylum Inmate
11,742 Posts
Welcome to the trailing side! You will like it a lot, especially if you take the wife with a lot.

I set mine up to camp out of in an emergency and to weekend trip out of......

Installed an awning.......

Plus I have packed the inside with Rainy day options.....

We have worn a set of tires off the trailer and average about 18,000 per year on the soft tail and another 10,000 on the Vrod. For us it has been great as we are not stuck riding the same loops of the state over and over.....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts