Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After changing chain and sprockets and getting the 3" BDL clutch mounted the bike run good for awhile.

But after a few miles a problem occured.

Starting was fine, but when the clutch lever was engaged the engine died (just as the kill switch was pressed!!!).

The engine runs nice on idling and as soon as the lever goes in the engine goes dead. The gear is in neutral.

Please give me an advice! I have NO idea what causes this.

This is my son's custom bike. 110 "S&S and BDL 3" open belt. Nothing other than the chain was overhauled...

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,188 Posts
My guess, and a $2 bet...

Rear wheel bearing were overtightened and ruined themselves during the test ride, they might as well be welded solid now. If the chain has a link, remove the possibility of the rear wheel being the cause and I'll bet everything spins freely.

I think he's very lucky the rear wheel didn't lock up on the test drive.

Edit: I'm assuming some descriptive inversion of the clutch being engaged/disengaged when the lockdown is happening.

·
1,074 Posts
Dave
I think he means to say that when he pulls the clutch lever in it's "as if" the kill switch is being pressed.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dave
I think he means to say that when he pulls the clutch lever in it's "as if" the kill switch is being pressed.
Yes, thanks, I forgot an IF. But a guy I spoke with today said that the most common reason for fault like this is that the kill swich is faulty and the slight movement of the bar could short it... Will test that tomorrow.

Fortunately no bearings or so is at fault. The bike was pushed into a safe spot and rolled freely!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Still not running, but we'd brought it home to my garage and I must find time to work with it. Now he clutch is kind of stuck inside and when one tries to engage it the "plunge" presses the Hydraulic side out ( Seems to be damaged threads on the plate).
The electrics are yet to be checked...
Soo much work, and soo little time...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts