Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 01 road glide coo with 66000 miles. It runs great for about 5 miles then it sounds like it’s out of oil. Oil pressure is steady at 35 and it runs fine but it sounds like it’s coming apart. Last year I replaced the cam plate and oil pump with the Harley upgrade and has run fine for 3000 miles. Now I replaced the lifters then checked the oil bypass valve. No change. Dealer said I could try running 60 weight oil but I don’t know. Thanks for any help.

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,097 Posts
Where does it sound like it’s coming apart?
Weird to be tossing parts at it....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
old scoot coot
3,358 Posts
it's a twin cam. they pretty much sound shaking a gal jar half full of bearing balls. if you know the cam chest is good, and you have good oil pressure just ride the hell out of it. i do and mine has 91,000 miles on it. i do add one other thing to the mix, i turn off my hearing aids. i have a 17 m8 also. very quiet valve train. if a twin cam don't sound like a thrashing machine, it aint right🤠.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I used a wood rod to locate it. You can hear the clatter but no specific spot. If I shut it off for a minute it is quiet again for a short time. If I didn’t think I was damaging the motor I’d just turn the radio up.

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,097 Posts
So where did the sound come from?

You running adjustable push rods?

Have you found any foreign matter in oil or cam chest?

They are noisy as Tommy said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
It wouldn't surprise me if your rocker arm end play is excessive. You are not the first person I have heard say rocker lockers didn't quite their t/c down. You could have piston slap, bad wrist pin bushings or even bad rod bearings. A lot of things it could be or maybe nothing wrong.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Push rods are original solids and not bent. Changed the oil and it looked good but I didn’t cut open the filter. Worn rods or pins usually knock. This is a clatter like dry lifters. With the wood rod the the noise is the same top, cylinders, primary, case. The engine is quiet and smooth for 10 minutes then it starts ticking then starts clatter like it’s out of oil. The neighbor even commented he heard it coming down the street. It’s not a little noise.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
When I installed my last cam it had a bad noise, turned out the push rods were rubbing inside at the top of the tubes. They say you can file them or buy tapered one from screaming eagle, I got the tapered ones and the problem is gone, not hard to check.

·
Proud Infidel
2,773 Posts
With the wood rod the the noise is the same top, cylinders, primary, case.
That makes it a tad difficult to diagnose. Try a large screwdriver next time.

I bought a cheap stethoscope from Harbor Freight that works AWESOME.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

·
Retired citizen
22,920 Posts
This thread sounds kinda familiar, engine noise seems to be coming from everyplace. I wonder if the OP has checked the comp sprocket yet ? That's a noise that travels throughout the entire engine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I love harbor freight. Rode up and 5 bucks later I have the right tool. Cannot pinpoint noise but is bottom end. Tappet blocks, cam cover, engine case, primary all sound the same clatter. Let it cool down and all is quiet, just a smooth sound. Thinking again about straight 60 oil.

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,097 Posts
So oil pressure never changes? Hot or Cold
Sound never changes with RPM?
What lifters did you install?
What spring are you running in the bypass on the Cam Plate?

You can try the 60wt, I ran it in my 99 TC Ultra.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Once warm pressure will drop to 20 at idle but back to 35 off idle. The sound changes with rpm. I installed Feuling lifters. The spring is what came with the screaming eagle cam plate. I asked the dealer if they had a upgrade spring when I had it out. They said no. Why did you run 60wt?

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,097 Posts
I live in S Florida and dealt/deal with a lot of stop and go high temp riding. The Amsoil 60w helped a little, but nothing that made me go yeah that's gonna save the $$ I spent on the cam chest. I was running Red Line 20/50 synthetic before the switch.
I went with upgraded cam plate and oil pump. Baisley spring. Mine would rum 35-40 psi.

Noisy, but not panic noisy like you describe.

Im pretty sure the direction of the lifters don't matter, but does fueling have instructions for the oil port at install?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Feuling just said face them all the same. Mine are faced out. Now one question is preload. Fueling wants .090-.100”. I still have the solid push rods so I cannot control the preload. I can say it is close because how much I pulled down the rockers. Maybe adjustable pushrods is a thought.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts