Harley Davidson Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,097 Posts
I was always told .130-.140 preload on the lifters.
Maybe try an adjustable set to see...
Unfortunately, you have to cut solid rods out or dismantle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,097 Posts
Oil thins as it gets hot....

I wonder if you put an oil pressure gauge in line if it reads the same as the one in faring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,097 Posts
IDK, I'm just spitballing... not trying to doubt your abilities or what you have done.

·
Flats where its at
20 Posts
what yer explaining sounds almost like oil is being pumped out of the bottom end faster than the supply is bringing it in....start bike cold takes noise takes awhile, you/it stop bike; it refills bottom end of cases nuff for slinger to toss a drop. now caus oil is warm u go for a min an noise happens again but faster... were/are the ports done right [bored out?]to give nuff oil to the bottom end? pumps ok? lines kinked? anything obstructed for oil flow anywhere? is there nuff oil in bottom end when noise is present . older bikes used ta have a spring ballcheck-valve in the oil pump. still got em? check the spring for proper tension,,, your problem sounds like what would happen if spring was too "tight"........[to loose a spring or bearing not seating; it would over fill bottom end w/ oil].... j us a thought?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
From what I have read if the oil pump is starved or the bypass valve stuck open the oil pressure would drop causing lack of oil to lifters. My oil pressure is steady at 35psi even when warm and lifters sound like they are dry.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Got it back together. Installed fueling oil pressure relief valve and now run 55 psi. But motor is quiet and smooth. Will put some miles on it this weekend and see what happens. Thanks to everyone for the input.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts