Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this forum as well as Harley. I recently bought an 07 Ultra Classic, love the bike. Today I was riding it on the freeway about 65mph. I had just got on the freeway and had been riding about 5 minutes. The engine started to miss and every time the engine cut out the speedometer dropped about 20mph, but the speed of the bike remained constant. It did this about 2 weeks ago but it only lasted about 5 seconds, today it did it for about 30 seconds then cleared up without further problems. The check engine light never came on.
Any ideas?????

·
COB
1,984 Posts
If it is an 07 it is probably still under warranty. Take it to the dealer. Sounds like a possible grounding issue.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome DJH1960 to the most wonderful HD fan place around. Don't be shy. Introduce yourself. We look forward to hearing from you.
I'll do that on the "new to the community" thread. Not here.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, I went on a 3-day trip to the Texas Hill Country this past weekend. I checked the connections at the battery before I left, the positive was a little loose and was tightened. The bike ran fine all 3 days, 800 miles, no problems.

Thanks for your suggestions.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oops, it did it again! It is still under warranty and I will be out of town the first 3 weeks in August so I'll drop it at the dealer before I leave. As long as it runs I'll be on it till then.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It might be that plastic fuel pump in the gas tank.08 HD owners have been having an issue with them.the bike runs funky and has no pick up.It hicups at crusing and highway speeds before it finally shuts down.Check some of the threads on this site.Lots of 07 & 08 owners have been having an issue with the plastic fuels pumps located in the gas tanks.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's at Mancuso HD now. I ran the on-board diagnostic and found 3 codes so I took it in yesterday. The service Mgr called me this afternoon and asked me a couple of questions about it so I guess they are looking at it.

When I dropped it off yesterday the guy asked when I needed it back. I looked at my watch and asked him "what time do you close?" I thought he was going to have a cow, he got that look on his face like "I hope you are joking!". I told him to get it done as soon as possible.:D

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got the Ultra back today. Tech said he couldn't find anything wrong. He cleared the codes and took it for a test ride and nothing went wrong. I rode it home then agian this evening, no problems yet.:confused::confused:

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
UPDATE!
I put new exhaust on the Ultra back in September and I haven't experienced the cutting out problem since the new pipes. Could the problem have been caused by the lack of back pressure after the previous owner cut off the baffles?
It had the Stage I tune with SERT and was done with the Rush 2" baffles in tact, then the baffles were cut down to about 3" long, they sounded like straight pipes so I replaced the exhaust.:thumb

·
What?
3,256 Posts
Had you had any problems between July and now? With it cutting out?

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
UPDATE!Could the problem have been caused by the lack of back pressure after the previous owner cut off the baffles?
Probably not. It would contribute to a lean running condition, but it would have create such an issue to cause a "shut'down" or faultering that bad. If it did, it would continue, IMHO, until the bike was shut down and cooled.

You stated your dealer "Cleared codes"..... What codes were there that needed to be cleared?????

If it hasn't resurfaced, then knock wood.........

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Had you had any problems between July and now? With it cutting out?
It had the cutting out problem from shortly after I got it in May till September when I changed the exhaust.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You stated your dealer "Cleared codes"..... What codes were there that needed to be cleared?????

If it hasn't resurfaced, then knock wood.........
The 3 codes were , Low FI pressure, TP sensor and O2 sensor, I think. The check engine light was on at this point so I took it to the Dealer. After they cleared the codes it did run fine for 2 or 3 weeks then it back fired when I started it once and the codes and check engine light were back. This time I cleared the codes and no problems since.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts