Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is There a combination of an engine guard and forward controls that will work on a 2003 Lowrider? Anyone got this setup?

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
I, personally, have never seen it aftermarket, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

The only OEM set up I'm aware of was on the FXDP Police bikes. With the FXDP, it's almost $800 for the parts from HD, and about $400 used if you can find them, not including the engine guard.

Anyone creative enough could make something work, then sent it for rechrome after modding it, but it depends on what you wanna spend.

·
Retired citizen
22,097 Posts
A combination engine guard with built in forward controls ??? I don't remember ever seeing anything like that before . One problem with that setup that I can imagine is that engine guards always seem to get bent when the bike falls over .
There are guards with built in retractable foot pegs tho .

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
I, personally, have never seen it aftermarket, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

The only OEM set up I'm aware of was on the FXDP Police bikes. With the FXDP, it's almost $800 for the parts from HD, and about $400 used if you can find them, not including the engine guard.

Anyone creative enough could make something work, then sent it for rechrome after modding it, but it depends on what you wanna spend.
Ain't that the magic sentence

·
Wide=Glide and Rider
1,110 Posts
Maybe I'm missing something but how does the mount for the low rider differ than a mount for a wide glide? They have crash bars (sorry, engine guards) where the bottom mounts to the same spot as where the forward controls are. Possibly not the same but here is a WG from a while ago. Not the greatest picture but you get the idea.

Attachments

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Maybe I'm missing something but how does the mount for the low rider differ than a mount for a wide glide? They have crash bars (sorry, engine guards) where the bottom mounts to the same spot as where the forward controls are. Possibly not the same but here is a WG from a while ago. Not the greatest picture but you get the idea.
The wideglide is raked farther, and has OEM forward controls with rear the master cylinder up front and floor boards.

The FXD models do not. FXD's have their rear master at the rear of the bike, with a short rod going to it. Lendthen the rod for forward controls, and it's prone to flexing, and the rear brake feels soft.

As well....the only forward control set-up made OEM was for the police bikes with running boards, and the mounts sat back a tad farther, then any aftermarket set does.

That slight forward stance is enough to interfere with the front wheel.

·
Wide=Glide and Rider
1,110 Posts
The rear master cylinder on my WG is at the rear of the bike with the rod you mention going to it. It's not up by the brake pedal.

·
Banned
681 Posts
The genuine H-D engine bars on my 2008 FXDL do not mount where the forward controls go. They have U-bolts that go round the frame tubes just in front of the regulator. This means that the H-D forward controls fit as per the Accesories book. I don't know how this differs fromthe 2003 model.
And Dave is correct as always - that rod has a compound bend which makes it too flexy!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry, I mis stated question. I just installed forward controls on my 2003 Lowrider and wanted to know if their is an engine guard that will bolt on in addition to fwd. controls. Will one for a Wideglide work on a Lowrider? Has anyone got this setup?
Thanks for any help.

·
Banned
681 Posts
I've done the same on my 2008 Low Rider. The catalogue says the engine bars fit 06-on Dynas - don't know what the difference is with a 2003. They bolt round the frame leaving the lugs free for the forward controls.
You can see the bend in the brake rod that causes the flexing!
btw, the controls are mounted on Accutronix Kick-Back plates 'cos I've got short legs!

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've done the same on my 2008 Low Rider. The catalogue says the engine bars fit 06-on Dynas - don't know what the difference is with a 2003. They bolt round the frame leaving the lugs free for the forward controls.
btw, the controls are mounted on Accutronix Kick-Back plates 'cos I've got short legs!
Thanks for pics, Looks like the same setup.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've been looking for same recently. I have an OE Police board/kit coming and have been searching for a replacement guard that will work. Now I have a Lindby, but it won't allow the floorboards. The OE guard from the '03 Police Dynas will work, but they are discontinued. V-Twin Manufacturing has one too, but last time I checked they were out. Saw one guard on a WG that was U-bolted to the frame...U-bolted!?...that allowed the board/kit on an '03 FXDL but.....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Old post, I know but I think you've answered a question for me with my engine guard.

They mount in the spot where you have Accutronix Plate installed. I was gonna use them when i installed the forwards as I have short legs also. It looks to me like I can just use longer bolts and install the plate and bars in the same place.

Do you think that;s doable?

·
Banned
681 Posts
. I was gonna use them when i installed the forwards as I have short legs also. It looks to me like I can just use longer bolts and install the plate and bars in the same place.

Do you think that;s doable?
Can't say for sure but I suspect the brake lever and/or gear lever will foul the engine bars. The forwards would have to go outside the bars so you might also have a hell of a job getting a brake rod to line up at both ends - the bend in mine is bad enough! Can't help feeling if it was that simple everyone would have done it?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Can't say for sure but I suspect the brake lever and/or gear lever will foul the engine bars. The forwards would have to go outside the bars so you might also have a hell of a job getting a brake rod to line up at both ends - the bend in mine is bad enough! Can't help feeling if it was that simple everyone would have done it?
I looked at it last night and took a pic. the bars mount to the frame using only one bolt. so my thought was I'd install the kickback to the frame with the top hole then secure the bars and the plate with a longer bolt in the bottom hole with the bars on the out side. I seem to remember there was some spring in the bars when i attached them. I think that might solve the alinement problem you talked about. After that I'd attach the forwards to the normal place on the kickback.

make sense?

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Baldrick...Saw your pic of your '08 Low Rider...good shot. Please let me know if the controls on your bike are Kuryakyn or HD OEM's...Thanks Much!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts