Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question to those who have a 96ci, stage 1 upgrade with Screamin eagle race tuner.

My 2007 ultra classic has the stage 1 upgrade with the screamin eagle race tuner also has either (I change out each oil change) a K&N or screamin eagle air filter.

Question is this. My idle is always at 1000 rpm, either hot or cold. Is this a normal idle? My wife constantly says it is too high. I did not agree with her before but now I am curious.

Is there a way to bring it down without hooking it up to the computer?

Further more do I need to? Runs fine as is but just being curious what yours do at idle?

Thanks
Glenn

·
Retired citizen
23,188 Posts
1000rpm is the correct idle for the FI Harley. It should be a bit higher at cold idle, approx. 1200rpm, but drop to 1000rpm.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Roger that. I appreciate it. Mine may idle a tad higher when cold. Thanks for the answer.

Glenn

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Many long-time H-D folks think the EFI bikes idle too high. It's probably because so many turned the idle too low on the carbed bikes. Sure, it sounds cool, but if the idle goes too far below 1K, the oil pump can't make adequate oil pressure.

If it's fairly cool out, it takes a while to idle down to 1K. If it's in the 40s or lower, both of the EFI bikes I have owned will idle a minute or more in the 1200 ranges before the back off. For me, that's my warm-up indicator. I start it up, and when it backs off to 1K, I'm ready to ride.

·
Senile Member
1,713 Posts
1000 rmp good. A carbed bike could go lower but the EFI is fine. Yes, I dropped my idle on my Dyna cause I like the potato-potato-potato sound. Like a fine tune farm tractor.

·
Gypsy on Parade
4,774 Posts
Many long-time H-D folks think the EFI bikes idle too high. It's probably because so many turned the idle too low on the carbed bikes. Sure, it sounds cool, but if the idle goes too far below 1K, the oil pump can't make adequate oil pressure.
:thumb

That's what I've heard and read quite a bit. In fact there was a lengthy discussion on here once about that very thing.

·
Retired citizen
23,188 Posts
Low engine idle can cause low oil pressure and low charge system voltage.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts