Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
BatRod
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the shifter shaft wasn't my only problem. I replaced it with no problem, then discovered it would jump out of any gear when warmed up. Max says its the known problem with the shift drum. I'm out of warranty, so I guess its on my nickel. I'll let Max do the work. I'd rather pay him then any amateur mechanic at the Stealer. I'll put in the new shift fork while he is in there.
I'll have him look at the alternator (dropping voltage), front motor mount (no doubt shot after 55k miles), clutch (ditto), and everything else that can go bad.

·
BatRod
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow. Sorry I didn't update this thread. Max and I (I watched and took pictures, mostly) pulled the motor and updated the tranny with the '08 parts (including a longer spring, so it won't ever happen again), new main bearings (the old ones were in great shape, but I had new ones!), new oil pump (same story), front motor mount (original was trashed) and Max built me a clutch from the best of his and my parts. Couldn't find anything wrong with the stator, so we put the old one back in. So essentially, I have a new(ish) motor. I tried to pay Max for his time, and he refunded part of what I sent him! We got some parts from "friends in high places" so all in all, it wasn't too expensive. Its been back together since mid October, and running flawlessly.
I added lower fairings, and am headed to Daytona Sunday morning.

Here's the thread: http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79117&highlight=Motor

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Thats great news. Would you know if my 07 DX has the same parts as the 08 or the same as yours? Have a great time at Daytona, Ride safe and enjoy!

·
BatRod
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thats great news. Would you know if my 07 DX has the same parts as the 08 or the same as yours? Have a great time at Daytona, Ride safe and enjoy!
I think the tranny part change came in '07. But I'm not sure.
I do know the biggest change is the longer spring on the gear selector ratchet. It prevents the spring from dropping below the casing detent when the shift shaft is removed. The say they beefed up some of the shift finger components, but its hard to tell about those. The drum was changed so that the two parts are pinned, not just pressed together.

Is it Sunday yet?

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
Sweet! Now you'd better make sure to have a great time and take lots of photos @ Daytona!

(and give my best to your better half!)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts