Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I am still pretty much the noob of the forums.. but want to ask this.

When I start my 08 RKC, the engine light comes back on after a few mins of running.. stays on abut 30 sec's then goes off.

Is there something wrong? Anyone know?

·
SNAFU organizer
4,127 Posts
I can only think you may have code(s) in your diagnostics.

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
kraa... I had a bike that did this. It was from a turn signal getting broken (dealer did this while delivering the bike to me!), and when the replacement was placed, a code was not reset. Perhaps you've had some work done to the bike? I'd bring it by the dealer and have them hook it up to the computer. Because the light goes out and does not stay on, I'm thinking something just needs to be cleared.

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
This is the procedure for the VROD but I believe its the same for all Harleys.
As sfarson said, it's a historic code and not current. I think it stays in for about 50 starts.

The service manual is the best thing you can buy for your bike. It will have the procedure and the codes them selves in it.

1- Ignition off
2- push odometer reset button in & hold. Make sure run switch is on.
3- turn ignition to run and release button (you will see P, S &C displayed)
4- each letter represents an area of diagnostics... the one that is flashing is the one you are going to check. To move from one letter to the next, you push the button one time. (from P to S to C and back to P, etc.)
5- to get DTC within an area, you push and hold the button in for 5 seconds and if there are any, it will be displayed... you can release the button. As you push the button again, other codes will appear if they are there. If there are not any the word 'none' appears.
6- Record the codes.
7- To determine if a code is current or historic, you clear the codes while being displayed by pushing in and holding the button until 'clear' comes up. Turn off the ignition... then crank or restart the bike... turn off, and then repeat the code process. If a code is there now, its current... if not, it was historic.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys,

I will try this procedure on my RK when I get home Eze. Yea I talked to the dealer and they told me it was a left over diag code. I have an appointment for Thursday to get the 1k work done and they will look at it then .. I have already put 1600 miles on it.. have over 2 k by the time I get to thursday..

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have this problem on my '08 Street Glide. This began after Harley replaced the engine due to defective bearings in the crank case. Anyhow, after the engine was replaced, I picked up my bike to find the engine light stayed on and never turned off. The cause was an exposed wire in the wiring harness. Once they replaced it, the engine light comes on, I start the engine when it goes off, then comes back on for 15 seconds or so. It never did that before the engine was replaced. No one has an answer why it now performs differently. If it rides as it should, let it go. I've spent countless hours over something I can't control. Ain't worth it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
mine started doing that and I toke it back to the dealer and they fixed a short in the throttle. So I'd check into it, just to be safe.

·
Old Member
2,896 Posts
My V-Rod has been doing this for 4 years now and I just ride it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
engine light

The engine light coming on after starting then 30 seconds going off is a diagnostic that has been acknowledged but not cleared! Maybe someone used the switch on then off 3 times to acknowledge? The dealer can go in get the codes and tell you what happened and clear it. This is a new bike get it checked out. You have too much money invested too just hope its nothing.Then find out its caused something major that could have been prevented with a trip to the dealer. Bottom line cover your a$$ and your warrenty. Just my .02 Kris :ride

1 - 9 of 9 Posts