Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there
I am new to this forum and new to Harley world, my name is David i am from Israel and yesterday i got my 1984 FLHTC (evo engine).
I bought it from the USA, so shipping took long time. Any way, after i got it i've been trying
to start it, and after i try few times the engine started spilling oil under the gear box/oil filter
area, about 0.2 gallon (600cc).
I couldn't find where it was leaking from , so the first thing i checked was the oil tank, it was full.
eventually i managed to start the engine , and it worked smooth.

Any idea why it was spilling so much oil ?

any help would be appreciated. thanks

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
The softail oil tank is above the oil pump. When sitting, the check ball can let oil seep past it and into the crankcase. When engine is started, all the pressure blows the oil out. Not a big problem, just messy. There are some easy procedures for reseating the check ball.

I have no idea how my fingers typed "Softail". Just another oldtimers response.

·
Just Ride
3,888 Posts
So is the oil tank on a 1984 FLHTC. Start it again,let it run. Put a drain pan under sngine. If it pours alot of oil shut it down. Check ball in oil pump needs reseated.

·
Registered
569 Posts
... yesterday i got my 1984 FLHTC (evo engine).
I bought it from the USA, so shipping took long time. ...
Man, you're not kidding shipping took a long time! When I bought my 87 I was sad it took a few months to get it. Yours took 31 YEARS!!! :confused :rollin

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Man, you're not kidding shipping took a long time! When I bought my 87 I was sad it took a few months to get it. Yours took 31 YEARS!!! :confused :rollin
:) yes that could be nightmare.
Bought it from someone in Long Island, sent to NJ and from there to
Israel. took around 3 months for everything. It seemed forever tough.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts