Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've noticed that more I ride my bike (about 13,000 miles 7,000 put on by me the rest by previous owner) the more it seems to change when it wants to shift. going form 2nd to 3rd I have to get it up to 40+ mph with high rpms for it to shift smoothly without lugging, 3000 miles ago this never seemed the case, now if I'm cruising in 3rd at 40 mph I notice a lot of engine lugging same with 4th at 50 mph. The bike has seemed to change when it wants to shift overtime, is this normal as the engine gets more miles on it? I know there is the break in period but the bike has 13000 miles and still feels like it is finding "itself" per say. Ever since I've owned the bike it has been hard to get it into 5th gear with out lugging the engine unless I'm 65 mph and it even luggs a bit then, at least shifting into 5th hasnt changed much

·
The Northern *******
7,170 Posts
What rpm are you running when you start the shift ?

Kinda get the feeling you need to get some more rpm under your belt before shifting...3,000 to 3,500 or higher to get away from lugging in the next gear.....

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no tach but I run at high rpms when I shift, other wise it seems to lugg, if I had to guess I'd say 3500 rpms minimum but not positive since no tach

·
The Northern *******
7,170 Posts
Try running it up a little higher,,,air cooled engines will run 4K or higher no problem...I ran up the grapevine in CA, major grade....ran up in 4th gear at 75-80 mph....flat flew over the grade...

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ya I have been shifting higher, but it has changed since I got the bike, was wondering if that is a normal thing for it to do

·
The Northern *******
7,170 Posts
ya I have been shifting higher, but it has changed since I got the bike, was wondering if that is a normal thing for it to do
Most people tend to treat their new bike a little careful,,,shifting lower, etc....after 1,000 miles of motor break in...they need to be run...seats the rings better too....If it was a Twin Cam....they do not like lugging at all...can cause detonation....might slap in a new set of spark plugs,,could be a little loaded up...stock OEM plugs work fine...

·
Poser
4,426 Posts
Dirty Air filter

Or get a digital tach,,these bikes like the rev's.
My 1200 pulls hard at 2,000 in 1st and 2nd.
In 3rd It starts pullin at 2,500,,4th close to 3,000 5th don't pull real hard till about 3,400 or so,,I think.
Check the air filter and make shure your burning premium gas.:thumbsup

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
air filter is brand new as well as the plugs and I always run the premium stuff, I think it may have to do with the new ignition module I put in, never really played around with the settings on that thing, working next few days so I'll most likely get to tinkering on sunday and see if that helps

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok so it's getting worse, today climbing an on ramp in 2nd going 35 I heard a bad knocking sound, then shifting to third when I got on the highway it felt as if it didn't want to go into third running the rpms pretty high, getting worried there is some serious engine problems going on, I've never lugged the engine at all really but now it seems no matter what I do it feels like it's lugging and getting worse, any ideas?

·
"Nervous Tick"
11,272 Posts
COMPENSATOR NUT MAY BE LOOSE !!
take it in !!!!!!!

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
made a reservation for wed at a indy shop that does a lot of motor work and is known for its work on sporties. nerve racking, took it to a shop before and the tech said he could hear it but that they dont do much motor work and referred me to this place, hope all is well.... :mad

·
Registered
685 Posts
check the fuel filter make sure its not stoped up look at air filter again if both look good get the time and ignition checked out if its knocking sounds like a spark prob . might be bad gas ive ran into a lot of high priced bad gas lately .

·
Registered
30 Posts
So I've noticed that more I ride my bike (about 13,000 miles 7,000 put on by me the rest by previous owner) the more it seems to change when it wants to shift. going form 2nd to 3rd I have to get it up to 40+ mph with high rpms for it to shift smoothly without lugging, 3000 miles ago this never seemed the case, now if I'm cruising in 3rd at 40 mph I notice a lot of engine lugging same with 4th at 50 mph. The bike has seemed to change when it wants to shift overtime, is this normal as the engine gets more miles on it? I know there is the break in period but the bike has 13000 miles and still feels like it is finding "itself" per say. Ever since I've owned the bike it has been hard to get it into 5th gear with out lugging the engine unless I'm 65 mph and it even luggs a bit then, at least shifting into 5th hasnt changed much
Do you have a PCV OR PCIII hooked up? I believe I know what your problem is!

·
Registered
52 Posts
You know he fixed his problem or sold his bike longggg ago, that was back in 2010! Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
30 Posts
You know he fixed his problem or sold his bike longggg ago, that was back in 2010! Welcome to the forum!
Like I say these issues don’t disappear because of time someone can always use the information in the future if it don’t apply than let it fly!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts