Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have notice a tapping sound in the head area of the engine. It is not constant but seems to be most prominent at 40mph and 2k rpm. bought a mechanical ears and with the engine at idle you can clearly hear a hard tap when listening on the head bolts as well as the head itself. the sound is barely heard when on the bolts at the bottom case and around the jugs. The bike is a 2007 electra glide with 78000 miles however the engine was mod to on the upper to a 103ci with high compress pistons, roller cams with compression release, adjustable pushrods. was dino with a racing tuner. this was done at 63000 miles. any thoughts. oh yeah when listening with the mechanical ears you can deffinintly hear what I would say metal tapping metal.

·
Banned
71 Posts
I have notice a tapping sound in the head area of the engine. It is not constant but seems to be most prominent at 40mph and 2k rpm. bought a mechanical ears and with the engine at idle you can clearly hear a hard tap when listening on the head bolts as well as the head itself. the sound is barely heard when on the bolts at the bottom case and around the jugs. The bike is a 2007 electra glide with 78000 miles however the engine was mod to on the upper to a 103ci with high compress pistons, roller cams with compression release, adjustable pushrods. was dino with a racing tuner. this was done at 63000 miles. any thoughts. oh yeah when listening with the mechanical ears you can deffinintly hear what I would say metal tapping metal.
Valve noise......... you'll be fine . :thumbsup :)

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
From your description, sounds like a sticking lifter. First off, I'd run a little SEAFOAM in the oil and see if that clears the problem, might take a few hundred miles. If not it might be lifter time, or at the very least valve adjustment time.

·
Banned
71 Posts
From your description, sounds like a sticking lifter. First off, I'd run a little SEAFOAM in the oil and see if that clears the problem, might take a few hundred miles. If not it might be lifter time, or at the very least valve adjustment time.
How would one go about adjusting valves on a 2007 Harley Davidson ???????????

·
Administrator
13,603 Posts
Depends on which way you turn it. If the locking but wasn't tight and a rod started backing it, I imagine that would start a racket.

·
Registered
43,122 Posts
Yup. Double check pushrod adjustment.

No disassembly required.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
is this something a shade tree mechanic can attempt? I do just about all mechanical work on my autos, just not sure how technical or maybe more concerned is special tools required to perform the work. Was an aircraft mechanic in the air force. Maybe its just the name Harley Davidson. LOL
I do appreciate the great advise and plan on keeping this bike a very long time, given my age maybe my last bike.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
If the adjustable pushrod lock nuts came loose I think you would know it in a few seconds.

How many miles are on the lifters?

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Maybe with adjustable pushrods?
That doesn`t adjust valve lash, all it does is move the piston inside the lifter to a different running position.

In my opinion, if changing the running position of the piston in the lifter decreases or increases valvetrain noise, the lifter has some damage to the sealing surface of the bore or piston.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thought I would provide and update I went and bought a can of Seafoam poured some in with the gas and added about 1/4 to 1/3 of the can to my oil the tapping noise has been greatly reduced to eliminated most of the time.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Why is Seafoam so good to add to oil? It seems like it would thin it out some?
Colt.45

·
Registered
556 Posts
AT 40mph and 2K RPM, your bike is under a load it could be a lifter sticking. It also could be low octane gas for those high compression pistons you mentioned. Thus this would also cause a knocking sound at the top end. So before you start doing anything do as suggested. A little sea foam and maybe an octane booster and see if that helps. That would be the cheapest fix if I'm on to something.

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,335 Posts
I wouldn't leave the seafoam in forever. Just until the noise stops or a few hundred miles. Actually I would call seafoam and ask for advice.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts