Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is engine noise normal in the twin cam 96
The engine is quiet at idle but when running up to speed and cruising there is valve noise (is this normal) new to Harley's

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
New to Harley is engine noise normal
When running up to speed and cruising it sounds like valve noise is this normal

·
Just Ride
3,254 Posts
What octane you using? Run some seafoam thru it and use 93 octane.

·
Just Ride
3,254 Posts
Mods,let's combine posts

·
old scoot coot
3,682 Posts
Is engine noise normal in the twin cam 96
The engine is quiet at idle but when running up to speed and cruising there is valve noise (is this normal) new to Harley's
hey lttlevil, my tc 96 has a lot of valve noise, even at idle. i fixed it, i ride with my hearing aids turned off. nice and quiet:)tommy:biking:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll try to find so 93 octane
It also has a clunk when I shift into first after starting bike
Previous bikes were Suzukis

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Some clunk is normal for H-D. Heavy transmission gears and such, It will never be as quite as your Suzuki was.
As to valve noise if you aren't lugging it, causing ping, then I'd bet you only have normal H-D noise.

Never be as quite as a Jap bike.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bike has 12500 miles on it
Didn't want to damage anything if it was preventable
The bike runs fine was just wondering if it was normal
Thanks for all input

·
Registered
140 Posts
Your bike will have some valve train noise which is normal. It will also have some noise coming from the TBW throttle body which sounds a lot like valve train noise, this is normal too.
The clunk when going in gear is normal so don't worry about it.
Here are a few suggestions that may help the performance of your bike.
1- Get the HD service manual for your bike.
2- Use 75w90 or 75w140 full synthetic gear lube in the transmission, I found that Mobil 1 or Valvoline products work well.
3- Do the SE engine compensator upgrade, the stock compensator is junk and you may have problems that sounds like your starter is going bad such as Clunk, Grinding or Starter Stall this happens mostly when starting the bike when the engine is hot.
4- Use dielectric grease on the Throttle Control Actuator (TCA) plug that is located behind the air cleaner on the throttle body.

·
Banned
1,357 Posts
I'll try to find so 93 octane
It also has a clunk when I shift into first after starting bike
Previous bikes were Suzukis
The clunk is normal. Most likely the other noises will go away when you use the 93 octane. The harley motor is very finicky, it must have the highest octane you can fine.

·
Retired citizen
23,358 Posts
Sounds like the OP is trying to find different answers to the same question as his previous thread !
Lets narrow this down. Are Harley engines noisy ??? What's normal Harley engine noise sound like anyways. Sound clips would be useful here ...

·
Banned
71 Posts
Sounds like the OP is trying to find different answers to the same question as his previous thread !
Lets narrow this down. Are Harley engines noisy ??? What's normal Harley engine noise sound like anyways. Sound clips would be useful here ...
Potato potato potato .............. :)

·
Registered
11,961 Posts
The 1st gear clunk is normal. May check the internal clutch adjustment and at the handle bar. 1/8-1/16" Found away to eliminate most of my clunk. I warm it up as finish putting rest of my gear on. Pull clutch lever in and roll down the driveway in neutral. Rev engine up a bit, let settle back to idle speed, keep clutch lever pulled in. Most of time it just falls in amazingly quiet ????? I do it in traffic at lights when know going to be sitting there rather than hold clutch lever in all the time. BUT I never take out of gear when no is behind me or first in line at alight. Just in case some on forgets to see us sitting at the.

PS: Cold weather its hit or miss.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts