Harley Davidson Forums banner

Engine Oil for New XR1200 - Suggestions ?

18K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  vlade 
#1 ·
Hey all, got a new XR1200 and need to change the oil after first couple rides.

Manual recommends HD oil, and if don't use that, recommend Diesel certified oil.

How many of you buy the recommended HD oil instead of diesel oil at the auto parts store ?

Anyone know if HD warranty requires you to use the HD oil ?

Thanks,

#2 ·
I used HD oil for break in, but really so long as you use the correct weight dino oil, you would be fine. It's gonna get changed anyway at what 500 miles?

#3 ·
#4 ·
Why does it seem twisted to me that a guy who's sig says he has several high dollar specialty bikes,
and is supposed to be the "President & Founder, SanDiegoAdventureRiders.com"
why would he be asking about using auto parts store diesel lube oil in his less than 500 miles new Harley?

Just wondering, that's all .....

#6 ·
Yeah, I thought of that too Nathan.

However, I surmised that one could own a bunch of high dollar bikes, and be a president of a rider's club, and still not know for sure, if their newest bike is "different" or takes a special type oil, or just wanted to make sure and not screw something up.....

I was giving it the benefit of the doubt.

Mark it on your calendar... it probably won't happen again in 2009. :D

#5 ·
Check the Manual for oil type " CF " is the normal type for a HD. If this is what your manual shows to use then I have found that "MOBIL 1 EXTENDED 15W-50" works not only as an Engin oil but for use in the Transmission as well. My 2003 1200 Sporster has 57k and this is the only oil I use. Good Luck

#7 ·
I used to use the Mobil 1 synthetic 15W-50 "Red Cap" that was the favored oil that many people used in their motorcycles until they quit producing it a couple years ago. I now use the 15W50 silver cap. I feel it is a closer match to what we used to get with the red cap stuff.

Q/A
Why are you reintroducing Mobil 1 15W-50? Have there been any changes to the formulation, or is it identical to the previous product?

Mobil 1 15W-50 is being reintroduced based on popular demand. Mobil 1 15W-50 provides higher viscosity, designed to provide extra protection for performance vehicles and vehicles that operate in severe service, such as towing, hauling and racing. Additionally, Mobil 1 15W-50 contains higher levels of anti-wear (ZDDP or Zinc DialkylDithioPhosphate) that may be required for certain racing applications and camshaft designs. This is a new Mobil 1 15W-50 formulation and is not the same as the product that was marketed a few years ago.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.