Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Woundering if painting the jugs increases engine running temps anone ever look into it? What were the results?

·
Registered
38,953 Posts
The thickness of a dried paint would have negligible effect on engine temperatures.

If it would have an effect, the moco wouldn't be powdercoating them currently, and powdercoat is thicker than paint.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I just read a tech article in the horse about the heat difference between paint and powdercoat on cylinders. The results they show are impressive! The powdercoat cyl. Retained heat like crazy.and actually got hotter by 60% I believe. Heat transfer was much more effective on the painted cyl. I think it was last months issue check it out.good read.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
12,697 Posts
I powder coated mine at 80k miles and ran them until 130k (When I wrecked it) and never had any issues with heat. I live in Dallas and ride year round, no poil cooler on that bike. That should tell you all you need to know.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I know they have pc for years. Not arguing that it works fine. Just saying the test that where ran showed impressive #s. And heat does wear on an engine so if you can reduce heat by simply using paint instead of pc then why not. I painted my last build and probly will for all to come. A good quality high temp paint will last for years.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts