Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a O6 Ultra Glide CVO the engine has been declared blown up, by the Harley Dealer.
I have the extended warranty, which says it will replace the engine with a new one not a remanufactured.
I was told by a person that I would not be able to keep My old engine. And there is where I am looking for information.
Does anyone know if there is a reason I cannot keep the engine that I paid for, for personal reasons.
Thanks for Your input.

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,130 Posts
Cause it carries the vin numbers and your new motor is going to carry the same vin...

What do you need with a blown motor?

·
Done
4,154 Posts
Why not? Could make for a cool display or a table base. Anything. Why can't the Vin on the case be removed and the area simply stamped with an identifying mark. Easy enough to do for MoCo.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Why do you want another Harley motor send the one you have to a respected shop like Hillside and have them build you a runner instead of another stock one

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,130 Posts
Why do you want another Harley motor send the one you have to a respected shop like Hillside and have them build you a runner instead of another stock one

Did you read the op's post?
He has already paid for the engine with the ex warranty... That the Moco will cover.

·
Super Moderator
12,734 Posts
You are getting a motor and they get the old one back. You are "whole". If you purchase the motor out of pocket then both are yours.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was just under the impression that when I bought the bike that the engine was mine, regardless if it is blown up or not. And I paid for the extended warranty also, to cover the new engine. If the number is a problem then I have no problem with them destroying the old engine number.
It was just a novelty to do something with later, yep a table or mailbox post who knows there might be other ideas also.

·
Done
4,154 Posts
I was just under the impression that when I bought the bike that the engine was mine, regardless if it is blown up or not. And I paid for the extended warranty also, to cover the new engine. If the number is a problem then I have no problem with them destroying the old engine number.
It was just a novelty to do something with later, yep a table or mailbox post who knows there might be other ideas also.
I'm with ya. I think it would be a pretty a cool project of some sort.

·
Resist Tyranny
1,881 Posts
The extended warranty is basically an insurance policy. When you total a car the insurance doesn't let you keep the old one. Sometimes they will allow you to buy it at the market salvage price. You bought a MC with an engine and that is what you will have after replacement.

later, dozer

·
Done
4,154 Posts
If there was an option to buy it back, I'd take it. I'd like to tear it down and check everything out, practice or experiment, if you will. OP, ask about a buy back if the Vin is removed. All they can say is no.

·
Banned
71 Posts
If there was an option to buy it back, I'd take it. I'd like to tear it down and check everything out, practice or experiment, if you will. OP, ask about a buy back if the Vin is removed. All they can say is no.
MoCo requires that the old motor be sent to them first, then you get a new motor back from them .

·
Registered
11,038 Posts
Just speculation here, but it seems to me if MoCo doesn't get the blown motor back to examine, then they would be shipping a replacement motor to the dealer based on the dealer's word that the original motor was blown and the bike owner is entitled to a replacement.

·
Registered
827 Posts
In some cases the MOCO may study the blown motor to diagnose the issue that caused the failure. You purchased the bike with a new motor, that warranty was also purchased to "fix" your bike if it broke. They fixed it. With i might add a new motor. I would be happy that they replaced your motor with a new one. Some warranty programs replace with re-manufactured, or even good used parts. I think its pretty cool that the vin numbers are the same throughout. Then when you go to sell it you do not have to explain the non-matching numbers. my 2 cents..

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
As with almost any major parts, an engine new or rebuilt, from the manufacturer will have a core charge. You could possibly buy it back for the core charge. If H-D will allow it.
Might be a bit expensive for a conversation piece.

·
Registered
78 Posts
There will be no option to buy the old engine back simply because it has a VIN associated with it and it they did allow you to purchase or retain it you could build a second bike with the same VIN on the engine. Oh and any tampering with the VIN on the engine is a federal offence so, they would not change or erase the VIN so you can have it. Once HD does any review of the root cause of the engine failure then it will be destroyed.

·
Retired citizen
23,359 Posts
Also a replacement warrantied engine is 100% bone stock. If you had mods done to your old engine those are lost.
Personally I would prefer the reman engine because S&S runs the H-D reman program now. Also the reman engine came with a 1 year warranty and the new engine only 6 months, unless that's changed now.

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,130 Posts
Not mention the cvo aspect... Aren't they (Moco) tight with cvo items?

·
Retired citizen
23,359 Posts
The replacement engine would be a stock CVO, it's standard issue on that model.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts