Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have over 93,000 miles on my 2005 Ultra Classis. Yesterday while passing a car on a back road, in 2nd gear the engine died as I attempted to accelerate. I tried to re-start it while rolling and had to turn off the ignition and it restarted. I caught up with the same car a couple of minutes later and as I geared down preparing to pass at a safe spot, the engine died again as I accelerated. It died 6 times on the way home. It appears that when I try to accelerate from second, before it is time to shift to third it dies. It didn't die every time. Seems fine other than that. I use synthetic oil and have had it serviced every 5000 miles at the dealership. Any thoughts on the cause? The dealership was closed by the time I got home and I'm not sure the service dept is open on Sunday. Thanks, Jim

·
Retired citizen
22,115 Posts
That could be a bunch of things but the one that comes to mind is the IAC. That controls the intake air into the throttle body and they have a history of failure.

·
Dude
3 Posts
This situation happened to me on two different occassions. Once in the garage and the second time while driving on the frwy @ 70mph. I found out in both situations that the battery in my FOB died and it shut down the engine. As soon as I replaced the battery in the FOB, the engine started right away. 2007 Elec Glide Standard. Not happy that the engine just shuts off while driving.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Another possibility would be a pin hole in a high pressure fuel line in the gas tank. When you ask for lots of fuel, gear down and open the throttle, there isn't enough fuel to keep the engine going. I have never experience this but in other forums they say when the tank level is low, you can hear the fuel squirt from the hole. Take the cap off and see if you can hear anything after the fuel pump stops.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts