Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I start the motor sounds like it's grinding or hard to start and the air filter starts to spit when it try to start. I'm thinking it might be the compression but need other advice

·
Banned
71 Posts
When I start the motor sounds like it's grinding or hard to start and the air filter starts to spit when it try to start. I'm thinking it might be the compression but need other advice
A little more information please.????

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,329 Posts
My battery was doing that too. Then it wouldn't hold a charge over 2 days off the tender and was getting weaker. Then it wouldn't hold a charge overnight on the tender.

So. . . I ordered from Battery Mart - the Big Crank which fit my softail perfectly.

BATTERY SPECS
6 7/8 LONG
3 7/16 WIDE
6 1/8 HIGH
$89 delivered. Plan on 3 days delivery. VERY happy with it. Needed no adapters to fit. Bolted right up out of the box. Starts with robust.

·
Wayward Son
23,317 Posts
Hooked the charger to till 100% and it starts good now so I think it is the battery and I think the compression has to do with it also
A battery may charge to 100%. Does not mean it will hold that charge, and\or provide the full CCA needed to properly start the bike.
Always possible your charging system is not operating properly either.
Get the battery load tested to rule that out.

Is your bike stock? Nothing has been done to it to increase the compression. Head work? Different, high dome pistons?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts