Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about putting an S&S engine in my 1992 heritage and I'm having problems figuring out what they mean by aligning the crank to the primary. It's an evolution motor. There is nowhere that it says how to do that. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Red and White
2,237 Posts
Welcome to the forum!!!

Which size S&S are you thinking of going with? Most of their engines are for custom frames. Scott might be able to chime in here but from what I remember S&S' are taller motors. Anyway, the sprocket shaft spacers are totally different from a stock Evo to an S&S. A manual will show you what right looks like for both so I would pick a couple up. If your crank shaft isn't aligned then the sprockets will obviously be out of alignment and that's bad ju ju for your primary.

-Rohan

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
engine swap

I'm putting a V111" engine in a 1992 heritage. There should be no problem according to S&S with this engine. I have a manual that says align the crank shaft to the primary. It doesn't say how, so it seems a little vague on how to do it.

I don't quite understand how to align the crank shaft to the primary, or how to measure what ever it is to measure. Thanks for the reply.

Choper 969

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
engine swap

Does anyone have any experience with changing out engines. I know that this is something you don't do every day, but if you have done this before please post so I can get some ideas on what I'm up against.

·
Retired citizen
24,526 Posts
What is meant by aligning the crank to the primary is with the drive train installed the the front sprocket and rear sprockets and drive chain need to be equal distances to the inner primary cover. Also the inner primary to engine and trans has to be squared. The inner has to lay flat to the engine and trans cases.
Hope I'm making this clear, I know what I'm thinking, just don't know if my explaination is getting across.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reply Schmidtys

To make sure I understand what you are saying I will recap. The front sprocket is the compensating sprocket that needs to be lined
up with the Clutch sprocket. I'm thinking that with some sort of straight edge but I'm not sure where to use the straight edge. Since I'm not taking out the transmission I think I should not have to line up the transmission pulley to the rear pulley.

I'm also retired SCHMIDTYS and I'm thinking about doing this project but it might be above my ability. I agree with you that they have to be squared up. Thanks again for your help. If you can think of anything else let me know.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts