Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 2015 Switchback and crossed the 500 mile mark.

Got a HD newbie question for you veterans out there. When I ride in a gear down the rode at 2200rpm+ I starting hearing tapping noise from the engine that I guess are from the valve lifters. Is this normal or should I have the shop check it out.

I prefer to ride the gears out some (try to stay cruising speed of at least 2300rpm) so I have have quick power should I need it. My normal city traveling speed is second gear going [email protected] Hitting 3rd gear would be about 1900-2000rpm. Am I pushing the motor too hard?

·
Done
4,154 Posts
2200-2300 isn't exactly lugging in my mind, although, I try to stay around 3k for any cruising. I bet it's just the common 103 valve train noise. Switch to a good grade synthetic at the 1k service and see what happens. I also run premium grade fuel with no ethanol. What are using for fuel?

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Suppose to be varying your speed without lugging the motor for brand new engines . Don't ride or cruise at any certain speed for long . Work it up slowly . Accelerate up to 40 then let it drag back down in gear , then up to 50 and so on maybe on up to 60-65 . just don't hold it at a steady speed as the rings need to lap in . As far as the noise , unless its very loud probably not anything to worry about but tell dealer service manager about it because the mechanic's nowadays are just drawing a paycheck and will tell you its normal or they didn't hear any noise !

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What are using for fuel?
I run premium unleaded but selections without that ethanol garbage is pretty limited in my area. :mad

The Road:

I try to vary my speed, maybe not to that extreme though. I understand that things are still breaking in and maybe I am being a little overly concerned. In the past I had rode Metrics and if you heard that noise it typically meant you had a issue. When I bought the bike they did warn me that some of the things that I would experience riding the new bike are typical of a HD.

Maybe next week I'll ride to the shop and talk to the guy that I bought the bike from. He seems like a pretty cool dude.

·
Methhead
2,574 Posts
At 500 miles I started doing wot runs. Lol. I break mine in how I intend to ride em. These newer engines always have a little valvetrain noise. Unless it sounds ungodly terrible, it's probably normal.

·
Banned
71 Posts
I run premium unleaded but selections without that ethanol garbage is pretty limited in my area. :mad

The Road:

I try to vary my speed, maybe not to that extreme though. I understand that things are still breaking in and maybe I am being a little overly concerned. In the past I had rode Metrics and if you heard that noise it typically meant you had a issue. When I bought the bike they did warn me that some of the things that I would experience riding the new bike are typical of a HD.

Maybe next week I'll ride to the shop and talk to the guy that I bought the bike from. He seems like a pretty cool dude.
Remember he is a Salesman...so bring your Salt Shaker . :thumbsup

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
if its tapping in tune its not a issue - when starts to rap or caterwaul then its a issue

i never wanted my bike to tap so i taught it ball room dancing

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Just bought a 2015 Switchback and crossed the 500 mile mark.

Got a HD newbie question for you veterans out there. When I ride in a gear down the rode at 2200rpm+ I starting hearing tapping noise from the engine that I guess are from the valve lifters. Is this normal or should I have the shop check it out.

I prefer to ride the gears out some (try to stay cruising speed of at least 2300rpm) so I have have quick power should I need it. My normal city traveling speed is second gear going [email protected] Hitting 3rd gear would be about 1900-2000rpm. Am I pushing the motor too hard?
With those Made in Mexico lifters in that bike, along with not enough lifter pre-load for the thermal expansion of the engine, you'll hear valvetrain noises.
Not what you wanted to hear, I know.
Scott

1 - 12 of 12 Posts