Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 08 ultra 15,000 miles on it. Last week I took it to my local dealer and had the EITMS turned on in the ECM. The cruise light will not change to green when I roll the throttle forward. I did put a new set of grips on this winter. Any thoughts on this. The temp around here during the summer is about 95 and things get hot. Thanks for any help you guys can give:think:think

·
13 STREET GLIDE
15 Posts
I run the ETMS system in the on position on my 13 SG and have no trouble with the cruise light....putting new grips on may have caused problem, will the cruise still disingage when you roll grip forward??

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
Ok what is ETMS?
Engine Idle Temperature Management System. If you subject you engine to prolonged idle conditions, EITMS provides limited cooling to the rear cylinder. Majority of bikes from the factory have this feature disabled. But you can enable or disable this feature to fit your riding style.

1) Ignition switch on and engine OFF/RUN in the RUN position.
2) Pushing the throttle to the roll-off position and hold.
3) After 3 approximately seconds the cruise indicator will flash green (enabled) or red (disabled).
4) Repeat the procedure as needed to enable or disable EITMS.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
my understanding when they came out with wire throttle control . my 08 was a early production and this feature was turned off in the ECM (engine control management) and had to have a dealer enable it. Later production models was enabled at the factory.

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
Mine is a 09 and it came from the factory with the EITMS as a enabled feature but turned off.

·
Rider
1,541 Posts
I thought that the EITMS was an automatic thing. In the owners manual it describes using the throttle roll and ignition switch to just activate/deactivate it. Once activated, it will only kick "on" when bike is at idle and engine temp gets 275F+. Once idle speed is exceeded the EIMTS kicks off. It works automatically and the rider doesn't control it.

At least thats the way I thought it worked in my head.

I am on a long ride this weekend with some 90* temps. I have the EIMTS activated on my 2010 FLHTCU. I noticed a couple times when sitting at a long light or at a train crossing waiting on a train, the engine shook a bit more pronounced and sounde a bit different. But once I got going it went back to normal.

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
That's right Da Mack. You activate/deactivate the feature yourself. But from what I hear some bikes don't have the feature enabled from factory.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
I thought that the EITMS was an automatic thing. In the owners manual it describes using the throttle roll and ignition switch to just activate/deactivate it. Once activated, it will only kick "on" when bike is at idle and engine temp gets 275F+. Once idle speed is exceeded the EIMTS kicks off. It works automatically and the rider doesn't control it.

At least thats the way I thought it worked in my head.

I am on a long ride this weekend with some 90* temps. I have the EIMTS activated on my 2010 FLHTCU. I noticed a couple times when sitting at a long light or at a train crossing waiting on a train, the engine shook a bit more pronounced and sounde a bit different. But once I got going it went back to normal.

We were talking about this just last week at the parts counter at the local H-D. The guy at the parts counter said you can activate it if you want to but it turns itself on no matter what if the temps get to 300 degrees.

My bike doesn't have it. So, I have no idea.

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,383 Posts
By what i have read is the system has been around on the police models a while and was nick named parade mode. I thinknit became standard on the touring models in 2009. And like said before you turn the system on or off by roll off on the throttle until cruise light comes on green or red. If the system is activated or turned on, it will kill spark to the rear cylinder if the head temp reaches a set temp and the engine is at idle.

·
Registered
117 Posts
It turns off the spark and fuel to the rear cylinder turning it into an air pump to help cool...senses throttle movement and shuts itself off...engine does sound kinda strange when it is activated

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
back to my question anybody have this enabled on there early 08 production and if so does it work like the manual says.

·
Rider
1,541 Posts
Just last weekend, I was stopped waiting for a train in some 90+ degree heat and all of a sudden my 2010 FLHTCU changed its idle and the sound changed. It sounded a bit like an old POS Norton Commando I had when I was 17. There was definitely a change to its idle though. I'm pretty confident that it was the temp manager kicking in. I didn't see the cruise light change color.

Once the train passed. I blipped the throttle and the the rear cylinder kicked back on and all was well with the bike. I hope it was cooling the engine because I really didn't feel and difference in the heat coming off that bitch sitting waiting for that train.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the light will flash green when you roll the throttle forward if the system is off and will flash yellow when rolled forward if system is on turning the system off.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts