Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know these dimensions for the various model years 1952, 1955 and 1958?

The issue:
I have a Panhead that is titled as a 1952, but has been rebuilt a few times by the previous owners so it is kind of a bastard with parts from several years. I purchased a Rivera Primo primary belt drive, but the belt is to short. The bike has a 1958 (or later) frame because its a Duo-guide frame and the motor has a newer splined crankshaft (1955+, I think?). So when I ordered the kit I ordered a kit for 1955–1964 fitment to get the front splined pulley. The frame comes into play because both the engine and trans mount to it, so that effects the center distance. I don't know if the engine and trans mounting changed between the hard tail and the Duo-glide model years? The kit came with a Kevlar Polychain belt, 1-1/2" wide, 11mm pitch. 101 teeth. I talked to Rivera tech support the 101 tooth is the longest they offer. They did tell me they buy the belt from Gates. I did contact Gates and am waiting for a call back to see if they offer longer belts.

I am just trying to understand the situation better to evaluate if I can make this work of send it back.

Thanks
Rick

·
Banned
181 Posts
I think they are all pretty much the same.I think the inner primary dictates the distance.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The engine/drivetrain mounting position distance relationship was the same on both rigid and swing arm Big Twins. Before '65, the transmission could be moved fore/aft to adjust primary chain thus the "center to center" distance can vary. In '65 and up the transmission was fixed in position.

Bob

1 - 3 of 3 Posts