Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What product is normally used by the factory to adhere the glass to the mirror bracket? I removed the mirror from the bracket of a damaged one with a heat gun and noticed that the adhesive was a cloudy silicone like material that was very tacky.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Be aware, if you use silicone, you will not be able to remove it with a heat gun. But it damn sure holds like the devil!

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Be aware, if you use silicone, you will not be able to remove it with a heat gun. But it damn sure holds like the devil!
So what then is/was used initially?

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Not sure exactly, but glass shops have all sorts of "mastic's" used for glass. I'd check with a glass shop.

·
Just Ride
3,252 Posts
Mirror mastic or liquid nail for mirrors. Any hardware store carries those.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mirror mastic or liquid nail for mirrors. Any hardware store carries those.
Thanks, most that I've seem indicate that the mastic is for indoor use. The composition doesn't appear to be like what was on it originally.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Probably something similar to auto body sealer you get can get at auto paint stores. It comes in tubes like caulk.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Poser Member # 99
17,646 Posts
100% silicone sealant make sure both surfaces are cleaned with alcohol before gluing and tape in place and let sit at least 24 hrs to 36 hrs before riding or you'll watch it fall off

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
100% silicone sealant make sure both surfaces are cleaned with alcohol before gluing and tape in place and let sit at least 24 hrs to 36 hrs before riding or you'll watch it fall off
I used paint thinner, naptha, goo-b-gone, razors and a wire brush to get all the old gunk out of the mounts and surfaces. It was as clean as it was going to be. It'll be sitting till tonight taped secure before I put it back on the bike and probably several days before I ride again. The upside is I still have another good glass if this one falls out which theoretically shouldn't happen.

·
Poser Member # 99
17,646 Posts
I used paint thinner, naptha, goo-b-gone, razors and a wire brush to get all the old gunk out of the mounts and surfaces. It was as clean as it was going to be. It'll be sitting till tonight taped secure before I put it back on the bike and probably several days before I ride again. The upside is I still have another good glass if this one falls out which theoretically shouldn't happen.
Alcohol leaves the least amount of reside on the chrome or back of the mirror naptha and goo bee gone has oil as a base and leaves a residue . The silicone might release acetone and alcohol are the best thing to use when gluing any thing good luck let us know how it works out .

·
Poser Member # 99
17,646 Posts
2nd the mercury I'm sure that was out law to use years ago. in manufacturing other then in thermostat switch's and thermometers

We used aluminum crimps in vacuum metalizing to put the chrome on the back side of the acrylic emblems on your car or bike.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts