Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have to say I really do love this bike. I've put almost 12000 miles on it in 6 months. But I hate!!! HATE THE bright ass blue high beam indicator light. It blinds me driving at night. Plus at just about dusk I can't see any of the Gage's because the lights are not bright enough for the back lighting. And to top it all off every time my radio gets updated something that worked before doesn't. Any one else have these issues? Did you get some type of a work around figured out?

·
Go Army!
632 Posts
HDGLIDE, I have a similar issue with the console lights reflecting back into my windshield during dusk and night-time driving. The solution I came up with was that I bought a plastic pocket folder - the kind you would use in grade school to hold a report or other papers - and cut out a round disk the size of the console dial (Image #2). That way it will slide slightly under the ring of the dial. I hold it in place with Velcro (Image #3) and remove when I get home. Just remember to replace the Velcro and store the plastic disk back in your saddle bag in case you need it for another evening ride.

Another option might be to just remove the LED light bulb behind the cut out for the High Beam. A third option would to just place a small piece of black electrical tape over the High Beam light. Good luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya... I was thinking about just pulling the bulb. My Gage's are on the fairing. And the problem is at dusk I can't see them. Does
Anyone know if the panel is back lit from bulbs or is it all contained where I could not make it brighter.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I'm not a fan of the gauges either. Seems like at night the numbers aren't in focus. Haven't seen a good aftermarket option yet though. However, I wouldn't want to go back to pre 2014.

·
Go Army!
632 Posts
Seems like at night the numbers aren't in focus....
Broon, suggest what I do for night riding and that is to wear a pair of clear safety glasses with bifocal lenses. You can get them at Home Depot or on line with 150, 200, 250 and 300 manifications. I think I paid around $8.00 for a pair. Click here for different styles: https://www.google.com/search?q=bifocal+safety+glasses&biw=1678&bih=960&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=IJBGVPPVFIzpggSkyoKIDg&sqi=2&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg#imgdii=_

·
Wayward Son
23,313 Posts
Have no experience with the newer dashes\gauges.
But guessing they have to be replaceable. A little research may lead you to a bulb with lower lumen`s. From there it would be a simple plug and play repair.
I do not know if they are a standard style bulb or LED.

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
Before you go replacing bulbs and covering up lights are you sure your bike knows when it is dark out? There has to be a sensor somewhere that tells the bike this but I have no idea where this sensor is. If that sensor is not working I could see how lights could be too bright.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm going to take it back to the dealer.... It's stopped adjusting itself last weekend.... And today the radio went bonkers.... No joke. All I got was a screen that said list button 3 times and flashed ## 1234566778888

Not a good thing driving down the interstate when I was following the gps.

·
09 Dyna Super Glide
1,691 Posts
Doesn't your solution leave you riding a motorcycle without a speedometer, tachometer or odometer when you have the cut-out pocket folder in place?

Pete

HDGLIDE, I have a similar issue with the console lights reflecting back into my windshield during dusk and night-time driving. The solution I came up with was that I bought a plastic pocket folder - the kind you would use in grade school to hold a report or other papers - and cut out a round disk the size of the console dial (Image #2). That way it will slide slightly under the ring of the dial. I hold it in place with Velcro (Image #3) and remove when I get home. Just remember to replace the Velcro and store the plastic disk back in your saddle bag in case you need it for another evening ride.

Another option might be to just remove the LED light bulb behind the cut out for the High Beam. A third option would to just place a small piece of black electrical tape over the High Beam light. Good luck!

·
09 Dyna Super Glide
1,691 Posts
I have a 2009 Dyna Super Glide with the replacement LED tach/speedometer. Since the tach/speedometer is installed in a mount on the handlebars, the high beam light is accessible. I could, If I felt the need, paint the led indicator black then lightly sand it until it was visible. As it stands now, it does not bother me.

The tach/speedometer has an almost infinitely variable setting of light color combinations. I wonder if the factor speedometers installed over the gas tank have the same options.

Any light reflecting onto the inner surface of a windshield can be both a distraction and impediment to your vision at night. It's too bad that Harley does not pay attention to these sorts of problems. I sometimes wonder if AMF secretly bought Harley again or if it is part of Government Motors - whatever the case, a properly designed motorcycle should have have these sorts of issues.

Pete

So I have to say I really do love this bike. I've put almost 12000 miles on it in 6 months. But I hate!!! HATE THE bright ass blue high beam indicator light. It blinds me driving at night. Plus at just about dusk I can't see any of the Gage's because the lights are not bright enough for the back lighting. And to top it all off every time my radio gets updated something that worked before doesn't. Any one else have these issues? Did you get some type of a work around figured out?

·
Go Army!
632 Posts
Pete, the reflection in the windshield is so drastic I $hit you not that it's better to place the cut out pocket folder over the dial than actually placing my hand over the dial to block the light which leaves me riding with one hand. This isn't the original windshield that came with the bike, so I don't think this is something H-D would have noticed in their testing before they released the bike. I also ride with a GPS so I know my speed and the speed limit is on the road I'm riding on. The cut out is easily lifted up if I need to look at the dial, but most of the time it's not necessary. For me it's a simple fix and seems to work fine for my needs... Try it, you might be surprised at how well it works.

·
09 Dyna Super Glide
1,691 Posts
When I first installed a windshield on my Dyna, the turn signal light were still in the original location on the handlebars and it was a very wide windshield. With the turn signals off and the running lights on it lit up the windshield more than I liked. With the turn signals on, it was too much of a distraction. So I relocated the turn signals to the fork where they could not cause a problem.

I'm glad that you found something that works. It's too bad that you can't find a way to dim the lighting on your tach/speedo. If it were possible to locate the wire that feeds the lights, you might be able to insert a resistor in that wire and reduce the brightness.

Pete

Pete, the reflection in the windshield is so drastic I $hit you not that it's better to place the cut out pocket folder over the dial than actually placing my hand over the dial to block the light which leaves me riding with one hand. This isn't the original windshield that came with the bike, so I don't think this is something H-D would have noticed in their testing before they released the bike. I also ride with a GPS so I know my speed and the speed limit is on the road I'm riding on. The cut out is easily lifted up if I need to look at the dial, but most of the time it's not necessary. For me it's a simple fix and seems to work fine for my needs... Try it, you might be surprised at how well it works.

·
The Fighting Chicken
4,006 Posts
I get the same thing at dusk with my street glide's gauges. Like someone above said about the clear lenses, they'll help. I never had a problem with it because frankly I know where the needle needs to be for certain speeds. With 12,000 miles in a year I'd think you could have that figured out by now too.

The high beam indicator- The light is built into the whole strip of indicators. I think with some finesse you could pull it apart and cover the bulb so it isn't so bright. I doubt anyone makes any aftermarket replacement.

The infotainment issue would definitely be a pita. Harley is probably working tirelessly to fix the junk. Or not. I don't know.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ya.... I know where the needle needs to be...... Sometimes the needle blends in with the background. I haven't asked the dealership about the blue light... But I'm thinking cvo Gauges are different..???

I also got a new update for my radio that was just released a couple days ago. The service guy said there was a lot updated. So far I notice better performance as far as speed staring up and changing menus. But I haven't tested it any further.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts