Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We have only a limited amount of attention to divide among all that is happening while riding a motorcycle. Finding an escape path seems to me to be a bit of an instinctual reaction driven by survival that is reinforced by good riding skill and habit. Skill comes with good learning, practice and miles/kms on two wheels.
When out on the road my habit has become to make sure to segment off a bit of my attention to scanning the road ahead of me to assess the environment for danger and escape routes. Having done so, I've noticed there are places along my route to work were habit puts me in a certain position on the road because it just seems to be a safer place. From there it is a bit easier to watch out for everything else.
An example is a four lane road through a small city area with gas stations, fast food establishments, residential access and egress roads, a small shopping plaza, etc. My first inclination was to stay left to avoid the people turning onto the roadway and to give myself more room to deal with the left turn folk who are apt to kill me. Well what I've learned travelling this path is that the large number of people in the left lane, on both sides of the road willing to suddenly cross the yellow line, with or without signalling intent, is so much greater than those coming out of the parking lots that it is safer to negotiate the entire situation from the right lane. It is a relief to get through there every ride.

Am I off base or ok as long as I don't become complacent?

·
COB
1,984 Posts
When my wife first met me and started riding she made the comment that I wobble around a lot. This is true, I probably relocate the bike 10 times per mile. I will stay towards the right until I see anything ahead the makes me want to try and buffer my reaction time, such as a driveway, garbage can, parked car, etc; I am always thinking "What if a dog ran out from there". After riding so long this is just automatic though. This is a big reason that I have never had an accident in 30+ years of road riding and no, I am not jinxing myself.

FREE TIP: If you are riding with friends, the second person in the group has to be more cautious. The dog will run out to chace the first bike not even knowing you are there. Same goes with little kid coming to look at bike going by, or a car coming out of a drive or street will see the first bike, fixate on them, and as the first bike passes pull right out in front of the second bike. "Second in line, watch your behind"

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
I agree. I stay to the right side of the left lane so that there is a blaring headlight in their side view mirror. I find this keeps 98% of bone heads from scooting in my lane (besides not riding in their blind spot) and like you and Gazoo said when nearing intersections and such I move over to the left side of the lane so my headlight now shines in the eyes of the awaiting left turning car. This has kept me safe so far.

·
Official Ass Tweaker
1,804 Posts
Am I off base or ok as long as I don't become complacent?
I don't think you're off base. It sounds to me from your post and the two following from Gazoo and 1 Mean Mother (Why Would Anyone Want to be Called That :D ) that you are instinctively leaning towards what is known over here as the Balanced Risk Approach.

This basically amounts to an understanding that there are four directions from which risk can come, and the safest way through is to put yourself in the position where the risk from all four is equal. This is the position of least risk.

It is certainly not the fastest line, or the winning line, or the technically best line, but it is the safest.

Which is where I want to be, and on the road, so does anyone with a brain they do not wish to donate.

If I wanted to do that other stuff, the track is the place to be.

The only other thing I would say, bearing in mind that our riding conditions are very different, is that if your gut tells you to do something, or not do something, it's probably right :D

·
COB
1,984 Posts
Another thing I do is if I can get right beside or very near another car/truck when going thru and intersection I do. Chances are the cross traffic will see the car/truck and I want to attach myself to that safety bubble. You do have to keep an eye on the car/truck you attach to, but that for me is easier than keeping an eye on everything.

·
COB
1,984 Posts
This basically amounts to an understanding that there are four directions from which risk can come, and the safest way through is to put yourself in the position where the risk from all four is equal. This is the position of least risk.

I like that. I think that is what I do instinctively. I am always trying to position myself at the nexus and then analyze which dumb ass is gonna try and kill me.

·
Official Ass Tweaker
1,804 Posts
analyze which dumb ass is gonna try and kill me.
As my dear old Dad used to constantly drum into us - "If you put yourself in a position where some psychopathic nutter can kill you, then, sooner or later, one will."

·
COB
1,984 Posts
As my dear old Dad used to constantly drum into us - "If you put yourself in a position where some psychopathic nutter can kill you, then, sooner or later, one will."

:rofl::rofl::rofl: Me and your pop see eye-to-eye.

·
Official Ass Tweaker
1,804 Posts

·
Official Ass Tweaker
1,804 Posts
Lil - graveyard humor is part of the game :D

Now - you do have the David Hough books, don't you ?

More Proficient Motorcycling page 24 - Who To Measure ?

You will find more wisdom there - trust me, I'm a doctor :D:D:D

PS: OK, I'm not a doctor - would a priest do ???

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lil - graveyard humor is part of the game :D

Now - you do have the David Hough books, don't you ?

More Proficient Motorcycling page 24 - Who To Measure ?

You will find more wisdom there - trust me, I'm a doctor :D:D:D

PS: OK, I'm not a doctor - would a priest do ???

:rofl::rofl::rofl:
Geez Pete! A doctor and a priest! I've got both in the family. You'd fit in. :D

David Hough? Yes Sir! Last winter's reading material. I practice the skills over and over again in my mind after reading about them. It makes actually doing the practice when the weather breaks even better. Lookis like it is time to go back and reread that chapter.
I received A Twist of the Wrist in the mail last week. It will be this winter's read.

·
COB
1,984 Posts
Uhhhh.....Lil, do you ever just go out and have fun on your motorcycle??

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh yes! Every and anytime I ride! I approach riding like I do golf. Practice is for the range/parking lot. The course and the road are for just doing it and having a blast at the same time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts