Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
THE Yuppie Outlaw
10,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know we have had tool threads in the past. However, after using the search function I found it very difficult to locate the essential information.

This thread is intended to be very easy to find via search so lets please keep 90% of the posts tool related.

I would also like this thread to grow. Please feel free to add to this as frequently as you can think of something else that is important to have on your bike.

With some help and collaboration with Dave63, I have put together the beginnings of a kit and what I think are the estsentials.

Klein (or other canvas) tool bag to hold everything
Combination wrenches (10mm, 7/16, 1/2, 9/16)
Combination screwdriver (flathead, phillips, Torx 25,27,40)
Allen wrenches (allen bits for the screwdriver would also work)
Adjustable pliers
Needlenose pliers
Vice Grips
Side Cutters
Wire cutter/stripper/crimper
Butt Connectors
Spare wire
Razor Knife
Flashlight
Zip Ties
Magnet
Spare batteries for alarm fob

Air shock pump / gauge
Tire gauge
Fix a flat
Tire plug kit (unless you have tubes, then get roadside assistance)

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,069 Posts
No tool kit is complete without at least half a roll of duct tape.

·
Killer of Souls
10,868 Posts
No tool kit is complete without at least half a roll of duct tape.
A good trick for that is wait for half roll and pull the cardboard from center and squish flat. Takes up a lot less space. :nod

·
Poser Member # 99
17,231 Posts
+++
roll of wire
electrical tape
Ball peen Hammer .. optional for electrical problems
I have a small T handle driver with sockets Metric and SAE
has asst bits tork and in a case 10 bucks at TSC
Tapered Punch
a # 2 phillips screw driver
small pry bar

Have tour pac and saddle bags so I have a lot more storage for tools

·
Señor Member
19,625 Posts
U clip spreader (ala clutch lever pin)

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,075 Posts
Just got one of those flexible flashlights with the magnetic end.. combines the flashlight and magnet... Also, small tube of blue locktite.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Spare fuses. Bailing wire.

:thumbsup

·
Pork Jockey
7,416 Posts
As the President of the Laffin' Yuppies, here are a couple items you may have overlooked...

·
Registered
258 Posts
Add a compact tire inflator, either a small compressor or the CO2 cartridge kind and toss the Fix-A-Flat.

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,075 Posts
Also ya might want to add tools that are for your bike.. as an example one tool is a skinny philips screw driver for directionals on a 98 Sporty, I am sure there are more years than this, but 2 tool kits would not work to change a blown bulb.. Had to ride to Autozone and buy one to change a rear directional..just a thought.

Don't forget the wipes for the Yuppies.. don't want dirty tools or hands now do we??:laugh

·
Go Army!
632 Posts
Don't forget: Spare Jiffy Stand spring, paper funnel, 1 Qt. Oil, WD-40 or other multi-purpose spray, spare headlamp bulb, cell phone charger, kickstand board or disk and a spare key... Oh, and although not a "tool", make sure you have a credit card handy to buy tools when you have to walk a mile to the Auto Zone:laugh

·
THE Yuppie Outlaw
10,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Bumping this thread for those that are looking for tool suggestions.

Thanks to this thread I have added spare fuses, duct tape, bailing wire and duct tape to my kit.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts