Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I grew up with a dad who rode in a MC, everyone rode a Harley. I watched him give peace sign/wave to all the fellow bikers that would pass by. Nowadays, I don't see people doing this much anymore. I still do it. Do you?

·
Registered
4,990 Posts
Yes sir, real common down here in Florida

Reactions: 1/2 Ton

·
Just Ride
3,204 Posts
Live in Florida, I've rode 58 years on one bike or another. I'm not a waver, most of my friends I ride with don't. Just because someone is on a motorcycle doesn't mean squat to me. Don't know who to wave at and don't care. Meet them at a bar and still don't care,most of the wavers don't know about brotherhood and don't get it. I know you I'll acknowledge you with a nod.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Live in Florida, I've rode 58 years on one bike or another. I'm not a waver, most of my friends I ride with don't. Just because someone is on a motorcycle doesn't mean squat to me. Don't know who to wave at and don't care. Meet them at a bar and still don't care,most of the wavers don't know about brotherhood and don't get it. I know you I'll acknowledge you with a nod.
This is how my husband is too. He says I don't know em I don't wave at em.

·
Registered
864 Posts
I would say 99% of the bikers in Minnesota do the wave.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Everywhere I've ridden I do it to all bikes and normally get the response except....I have to admit...not to those Can Am things. 2 wheels up front and you sit inside? Nope

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
This, exactly.....hardly see anyone do this here. And even tho I still do, they still dont.
In San Diego your not seeing this? Take a ride out the I-8 to Hwy 79 North. That's a funtastic ride! You can stay with the 79 all the way to Temecula, then South i-15 back home. This ride is known as "The Juliean Pie Run". (i run it the opposite direction from Elsinore).
On the super-slab few riders do the bike waive. But on the bi ways, nearly every rider does! On the 74 Ortega's, if the clutch hand isn't occupied... Or if the other bike is seen in time. That's another bike friendly ride! TWISTIES (y) :p Just watch out for the crotch-rockets early Sundays. (Them fools is NuTz).

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
In San Diego your not seeing this? Take a ride out the I-8 to Hwy 79 North. That's a funtastic ride! You can stay with the 79 all the way to Temecula, then South i-15 back home. This ride is known as "The Juliean Pie Run". (i run it the opposite direction from Elsinore).
On the super-slab few riders do the bike waive. But on the bi ways, nearly every rider does! On the 74 Ortega's, if the clutch hand isn't occupied... Or if the other bike is seen in time. That's another bike friendly ride! TWISTIES (y) :p Just watch out for the crotch-rockets early Sundays. (Them fools is NuTz).
Wow I am impressed you know this area well. I am actually only 30 minutes from Julian... I live "just down the mountain" from there. We take the ride you mention all the time.
and yeah, I am noticing more and more people are not waving. Not that it's a big deal but I wave, it's just what I do ...my husband tells me to stop he says you don't know them, you don't wave at them.. But that is not my style. I spent many miles on the back of a bike with my dad and saw everyone waiving at each other. Back then, we really only waved at people on Harleys , guess it's just what I thought and still think is what we do. When I'm out there having fun and I see someone else having fun too I want to wave and say Hey Brother stay safe.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Now I have to ask, have you ever actually gone through Julian? Had the "famous" apple pie?
we actually have a hard time finding anyone that even wants to ride. We have a friend with a trike but he's never down for going anywhere. All of the other people we know what bikes are from our past that I really don't want to invite back in. you're lucky to have a group to ride with

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,351 Posts
For me, unless I'm well into heavy traffic chaos (normal down here at certain times of the day) I do the wave. Just a brotherhood thing to me. Sometimes, when I am forced to be out and about in the cage, I still try to acknowledge brother bikers. Some know me and respond. Others, I'm sure think I'm a nut case, but I go that DGAS attitude about that.

·
weird member
2,256 Posts
I feel this same way about it. Plus, just because they are riding, doesn't mean they're a good rider or someone that isn't a dickhead.

But, I still wave anyway, because when you don't, then people cry about not being waved at. I don't personally need a wave or acknowledgement other than from someone seeing me and not turning in front of me or hitting me.

At first, I only waved if they waved, but now it's a habit because they all wave.

What ticks me about it though, I have gotten the middle finger a few times because I didn't wave, but it was because I was busy with the clutch or didn't see them until too late because I was busy watching elsewhere to make sure some idiot didn't cream me.

Some people really get mad about not getting a wave. I never understood either why a wave is supposed to show respect or whatever, or why you should go out of your way to show appreciation (for lack of a better word) to some complete stranger when they haven't done anything to earn it.

To me, not going out of your way to "show respect" isn't the same thing as "disrespecting" someone or being disrespectful, it's just being neutral, but people take it as disrespect and rudeness if you're not out of your way overtly polite. Like no, disrespectfulness and being rude is if you're not doing anything and I act like a jerk to you or show you contempt, or I shut the door in your face or something. Just failing to say hello when I don't know you isn't rude.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts