Harley Davidson Forums banner

21 - 40 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Want to meet some good people join a HOG chapter or go on poker Runs.
Just my 3 cents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
definitely something we are planning to do. We've only had this new bike, a 2004 but still new to us, for about a month now after not riding for about the past 10 years.
I feel this same way about it. Plus, just because they are riding, doesn't mean they're a good rider or someone that isn't a dickhead.

But, I still wave anyway, because when you don't, then people cry about not being waved at. I don't personally need a wave or acknowledgement other than from someone seeing me and not turning in front of me or hitting me.

At first, I only waved if they waved, but now it's a habit because they all wave.

What ticks me about it though, I have gotten the middle finger a few times because I didn't wave, but it was because I was busy with the clutch or didn't see them until too late because I was busy watching elsewhere to make sure some idiot didn't cream me.

Some people really get mad about not getting a wave. I never understood either why a wave is supposed to show respect or whatever, or why you should go out of your way to show appreciation (for lack of a better word) to some complete stranger when they haven't done anything to earn it.

To me, not going out of your way to "show respect" isn't the same thing as "disrespecting" someone or being disrespectful, it's just being neutral, but people take it as disrespect and rudeness if you're not out of your way overtly polite. Like no, disrespectfulness and being rude is if you're not doing anything and I act like a jerk to you or show you contempt. Just failing to say hello when I don't know you isn't rude.
You are right there are times when you are not able to wave Even if you want to. And I agree you should not feel obligated. I learned the low wave with a peace sign just means keep your two wheels on the ground and have a safe ride, it was just a show of respect to other bikers at that time. This was back in the 80s. but because I still do it yet see so many others who don't I was curious...
and for sure just because someone is on two wheels that does not mean they are a good Rider, a good person or even someone that I would normally wave at. Just telling them have a safe ride really.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
For me, unless I'm well into heavy traffic chaos (normal down here at certain times of the day) I do the wave. Just a brotherhood thing to me. Sometimes, when I am forced to be out and about in the cage, I still try to acknowledge brother bikers. Some know me and respond. Others, I'm sure think I'm a nut case, but I go that DGAS attitude about that.
... lol yep ditto!!

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Now I have to ask, have you ever actually gone through Julian? Had the "famous" apple pie?
we actually have a hard time finding anyone that even wants to ride. We have a friend with a trike but he's never down for going anywhere. All of the other people we know what bikes are from our past that I really don't want to invite back in. you're lucky to have a group to ride with
Oh heck yes! The Julian pie run is our "go to" ride in the winter months! My wife has yet to ride there. She got a Sporty on New Years Eve. (Her first street bike) So we are working on her riding skills. Her longest ride thus far was to Big Bear. Now we are waiting for it to cool off a bit before our next Julian run. I like hitting the mountains during the hot months and the desert during the cooler months. I also belong to the Mountain Man club that Rendezvous at the Mataquai Boy Scout Camp. Just down 79 from San Yisabel (spelling ?). Have you been there yet? I'm a Rubarb pie nut! So i can take or leave apple. Yes I have had more than my share of Julian Pie! But I'm no where near done yet! Our little riding group consist of: My Wife (XL1200C), Eric (SGS) and Myself (FLHTCU). (Eric is my friend and co-worker). We should plan a "Meet-up-run". We ride the safe n sane version. To steal a phrase from Nathang: "Old Guy ridding, trying to get older".

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Want to meet some good people join a HOG chapter or go on poker Runs.
Just my 3 cents

The HOG group out here, well...just isn't. unfortunately:(

Reactions: Manduhlyn

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
My wife belonged to 1 in the Detroit area and they had over 200 members.
When they had a meeting they rented a hall and had a caterer coming an cook for us.
Meetings usually took about 3 to 4 hours lol.
1/2,time is when we ate and the meeting started back up.
50/50?were huge .
A lot a very cool people that loved to ride and always willing to pitch in.
Great bunch of guys and girls.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Oh heck yes! The Julian pie run is our "go to" ride in the winter months! My wife has yet to ride there. She got a Sporty on New Years Eve. (Her first street bike) So we are working on her riding skills. Her longest ride thus far was to Big Bear. Now we are waiting for it to cool off a bit before our next Julian run. I like hitting the mountains during the hot months and the desert during the cooler months. I also belong to the Mountain Man club that Rendezvous at the Mataquai Boy Scout Camp. Just down 79 from San Yisabel (spelling ?). Have you been there yet? I'm a Rubarb pie nut! So i can take or leave apple. Yes I have had more than my share of Julian Pie! But I'm no where near done yet! Our little riding group consist of: My Wife (XL1200C), Eric (SGS) and Myself (FLHTCU). (Eric is my friend and co-worker). We should plan a "Meet-up-run". We ride the safe n sane version. To steal a phrase from Nathang: "Old Guy ridding, trying to get older".
We would love that!! Keep me posted of where and when, we will be there!
We agree on the riding - safe and and sane🤘🏼

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Now I have to ask, have you ever actually gone through Julian? Had the "famous" apple pie?
we actually have a hard time finding anyone that even wants to ride. We have a friend with a trike but he's never down for going anywhere. All of the other people we know what bikes are from our past that I really don't want to invite back in. you're lucky to have a group to ride with
A while back i joined a local FB group that is open to all bikes, all types, all skill levels. There are quite a few H.D. riders although i have only actually met one. They plan rides like: "Hey, making a ride to (where ever) on Sat. Anyone interested" No formal rides, No ride captains, road guards or tail gunner. Just small pocket groups of bikes. One member of the group is Moto Jitsu, (he has a YT motorcycle safety / training page with quite a large fallowing).
If you are interested in this type of group, It's: Temecula Valley Riders. They do a Bike Night on Fridays at Sonic in Hemet.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
We would love that!! Keep me posted of where and when, we will be there!
We agree on the riding - safe and and sane🤘🏼
I was just talking to my wife, she wants to ride to the Moto Jitsu lot this Sunday. That's in Temecula. (If her wrist are feeling up to it). She's scheduling surgery next week. So until she has them rebuild, her riding will be "wrist permitting" until surgery. Afterwards I guess she'll be riding pillon on my bike. This Saturday is still? Open? She works most Saturdays. Imho, she needs some backseat time on my bike. Just to get use to the pace and get out of the slow lane. She's only ridden on the freeway 2 or 3 times. Working on confidence building and awareness. I hope Moto Jitsu has words that will sink in!

Reactions: Manduhlyn

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Here in UK we normally acknowledge each other by a quick nod of head some do lift their hand , whilst in Europe they tend to stick a leg out same effect as hand wave but safer I guess as they are not riding one handed , even for that one second ,,,,, never know at that moment you could hit a stone in the road or hole .
I always acknowledge riders even if its a youngster riding a 50cc scooter because one day that rider may be a rider of a larger powered bike hopefully instill in them the same attitude .

·
Senior Flatulant
1,105 Posts
We have kids on bicycles doing the wave ... Of course, they get one back. That or, they give you the 'blip the throttle' sign. ;)

Most amusing are the young Amish girls that give you the sign with their hands below the tailboard on the buggy. (Dad or grandpa are driving.) :D

Cheers,
Smoketown

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
When I drive my Jeep, I don't wave at every 4 wheel drive vehicle I pass, even if they have mud slung all down the side like me. I wave at other Jeeps, it a Jeep thing. When I had my old VW Bug, I didn't wave at every little German car I passed, just Bugs. When I walk down the street, (or thru a Mall when my wife wins that battle), I don't wave at every person I see, but I will give the occasional head nod to a like minded person, (and you know who they are), as we pass each other. When I ride my bike, I don't wave at every motorcycle out there, just Harley's. I mean, I'm not rude, if they initiate the wave first, sure I'll wave back if I see it, but I just don't ride around all day waving at EVERY 2 wheeled vehicle on the rode. For the most part, they ride their BWM, KTM, Gixer, or whatever for a totally different reason then why I ride my HD Touring bike. Therefore, they are most always a totally different type person then I am and would probably never engage in any lengthy conversation or break bread with them anyhow. And for the record, most BMW, Goldwing, and Adventure bike riders that frequent our roads up here by our National Parks, are smug phucks who don't wave anyhow whether you initiate or not, so........ no loss there as far as I'm concerned. Crotch rockets wave more than any of these others for some reason.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
My wife belonged to 1 in the Detroit area and they had over 200 members.
When they had a meeting they rented a hall and had a caterer coming an cook for us.
Meetings usually took about 3 to 4 hours lol.
1/2,time is when we ate and the meeting started back up.
50/50?were huge
A lot a very cool people that loved to ride and always willing to pitch in.
Great bunch of guys and girls.

Oh heck yes! The Julian pie run is our "go to" ride in the winter months! My wife has yet to ride there. She got a Sporty on New Years Eve. (Her first street bike) So we are working on her riding skills. Her longest ride thus far was to Big Bear. Now we are waiting for it to cool off a bit before our next Julian run. I like hitting the mountains during the hot months and the desert during the cooler months. I also belong to the Mountain Man club that Rendezvous at the Mataquai Boy Scout Camp. Just down 79 from San Yisabel (spelling ?). Have you been there yet? I'm a Rubarb pie nut! So i can take or leave apple. Yes I have had more than my share of Julian Pie! But I'm no where near done yet! Our little riding group consist of: My Wife (XL1200C), Eric (SGS) and Myself (FLHTCU). (Eric is my friend and co-worker). We should plan a "Meet-up-run". We ride the safe n sane version. To steal a phrase from Nathang: "Old Guy ridding, trying to
I was just talking to my wife, she wants to ride to the Moto Jitsu lot this Sunday. That's in Temecula. (If her wrist are feeling up to it). She's scheduling surgery next week. So until she has them rebuild, her riding will be "wrist permitting" until surgery. Afterwards I guess she'll be riding pillon on my bike. This Saturday is still? Open? She works most Saturdays. Imho, she needs some backseat time on my bike. Just to get use to the pace and get out of the slow lane. She's only ridden on the freeway 2 or 3 times. Working on confidence building and awareness. I hope Moto Jitsu has words that will sink in!
Hope you guys are on your ride now, man its hot!! I am currently on a job site, work most Saturdays but if I plan ahead we could figure out a Saturday that works.

·
old scoot coot
3,600 Posts
i tried to read all posts. the peace sighn of the counter culture movement and vietnam ware protests was used by bikers as a wave back then. the same hand gesture today is used as a wave and for the harley riders it signifies v twin.

·
old scoot coot
3,600 Posts
I feel this same way about it. Plus, just because they are riding, doesn't mean they're a good rider or someone that isn't a dickhead.

But, I still wave anyway, because when you don't, then people cry about not being waved at. I don't personally need a wave or acknowledgement other than from someone seeing me and not turning in front of me or hitting me.

At first, I only waved if they waved, but now it's a habit because they all wave.

What ticks me about it though, I have gotten the middle finger a few times because I didn't wave, but it was because I was busy with the clutch or didn't see them until too late because I was busy watching elsewhere to make sure some idiot didn't cream me.

Some people really get mad about not getting a wave. I never understood either why a wave is supposed to show respect or whatever, or why you should go out of your way to show appreciation (for lack of a better word) to some complete stranger when they haven't done anything to earn it.

To me, not going out of your way to "show respect" isn't the same thing as "disrespecting" someone or being disrespectful, it's just being neutral, but people take it as disrespect and rudeness if you're not out of your way overtly polite. Like no, disrespectfulness and being rude is if you're not doing anything and I act like a jerk to you or show you contempt, or I shut the door in your face or something. Just failing to say hello when I don't know you isn't rude.
you are of a different generation kyle. to us old guys, leave the bikes out of it, if we are walking towards one another and one guy says hello, hey, or another greeting like how ya doing? and you look at me like i'm from another planet it is rude. that is not hard to grasp. is it. it's common decency and shows one has been taught basic manners as a child. i speak to everyone i approach and see face to face anytime and anyplace. i do expect those people to respond in kind. i'm dissappointed by the number of people who don't reciprocate daily. there was a time not too long ago when when this was common practice and it was a better world in which to live. back to the bikes. it's not considered bad manners for one motorist to wave to another so i guess it's ok in a rules of the road way not to use the bike wave to other bikers. if he gives me one i'd consider it good manners to respond in kind assuming you both actually see one another. traffic is variable and can be distracting. if i give the bike wave to a guy that clearly sees it and does not respond i consider it rude but i'm ridding my harley, i'm having fun and being happy so i'm pretty hard to dissapoint. but make no mistake about it kyle. if i give you a kind gesture of recognition and you use the excuse that you don't know me to not respond then you sir are being rude. damn i do ramble. please forgive me. now that is being polite.

·
old scoot coot
3,600 Posts
holy shit some how i double posted that rant. i'm going to need a bunch of forgiveness for that. sorry i don't know how to make one go away!

·
old scoot coot
3,600 Posts
Just ride your bike and don’t worry bout anybody else for Christ’s sake!!!!!?
Just ride your bike and don’t worry bout anybody else for Christ’s sake!!!!!?
i do, and same to you rk. still rude is rude. way too much aggressive and mean behavior in our country today. . i'll be going home soon and then it will be the problem of those who created it. and since my kids and grandkitds will have to live with it i do worry about it sometimes, not while i'm ridding or flying though and i do lots of both!!!!!.

·
old scoot coot
3,600 Posts
When I drive my Jeep, I don't wave at every 4 wheel drive vehicle I pass, even if they have mud slung all down the side like me. I wave at other Jeeps, it a Jeep thing. When I had my old VW Bug, I didn't wave at every little German car I passed, just Bugs. When I walk down the street, (or thru a Mall when my wife wins that battle), I don't wave at every person I see, but I will give the occasional head nod to a like minded person, (and you know who they are), as we pass each other. When I ride my bike, I don't wave at every motorcycle out there, just Harley's. I mean, I'm not rude, if they initiate the wave first, sure I'll wave back if I see it, but I just don't ride around all day waving at EVERY 2 wheeled vehicle on the rode. For the most part, they ride their BWM, KTM, Gixer, or whatever for a totally different reason then why I ride my HD Touring bike. Therefore, they are most always a totally different type person then I am and would probably never engage in any lengthy conversation or break bread with them anyhow. And for the record, most BMW, Goldwing, and Adventure bike riders that frequent our roads up here by our National Parks, are smug phucks who don't wave anyhow whether you initiate or not, so........ no loss there as far as I'm concerned. Crotch rockets wave more than any of these others for some reason.
i noticed the smug phucks too! i have a perfect record so far, never has a gold wing rider returned a wave.:cool:

·
Registered
10,874 Posts
Surprisingly, I've had a few Goldwing riders wave back. Maybe it's just different in different parts of the country. Dunno. I generally give a little wave and generally get a wave back. But no big deal whether I get a wave back or not.

21 - 40 of 96 Posts