Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day All,

I'm bringing my Street Bob out to Europe (Germany) and want to explore putting EU-compliant pipes or slips on before I go. I've looked around and found a few options that fit into these two categories:

(1) EU-compliant standard slip-ons
(2) EU-compliant changeable or removable baffle slip-ons

Problem is. They are all ridiculously expensive! I'm thinking inexpensive Cycle Shacks that are EU-compliant, not a $1,000.

They'll need to have the (E) logo on them to pass the cop test.

Any ideas? :mwink

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Check in with hddeluxe (Bernt) who often posts in the Ride Tales forum. Believe he has ridden all over Europe with an aftermarket exhaust without any difficulties. Might also check in with 88b from the UK. He has also ridden Europe with friends on his H-D's and would have some advice. Perhaps PM them both.

BTW... Are you relocating to Germany? Depending on how long you will be there some find it more cost effective to rent, or buy a bike then sell it

·
sober 2 nite
223 Posts
Hi germany has different noise laws to most of europe if you get pulled they DO check the pipes for EU stamps send me a PM if you want more info

·
Road Glide
348 Posts
Germany and Switzerland do not like loud pipes, your going to need stock pipes with an E mark to get through the test. I imported my Road glide from Texas and had to go through the one off test, which involves tyres emissions noise mirrors and lights. If your bike has marker lights in the turn signals it won't pass. orange turn signals front and back in Europe, the marker light is in the head light. Cost me $350 for the correct light for me RG, but the wiring is there just plug it in.
How long will you be there ? I think you can ride it on US plates for six months, I know you can in the UK.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll have the bike in Europe for max. 6-months, and will be riding with U.S. plates. I've been told to tell customs I will be in Europe temporarily. It is a bone stock Street Bob, so the pipes are stock (U.S. specification).

My understanding is, the stock pipes aren't any different in the U.S. than they are in Europe but I guess they don't have the E logo on them already. If I have to, I will see if the local H-D dealership will rent or sell me some pipes. Might just borrow them from the dealer, bring them with when I pick up the bike and if customs whines about the pipes, put the Euro pipes on, ride it back to the dealer, and give them their pipes back and put mine back on. I can put orange covers on the rear turn signals easily. I can't remember if I already have those or not, but no big deal.

I was told on HorizonUnlimited.com that so long as I'm in Germany temporarily, and the bike is stock, I should not have to change things. I don't mind dropping $400 or whatever for a new light. I'm not aware of any road testing I have to do to bring it into the country, but we'll see. You'd be suprised how LITTLE the MoCo or dealers know about what it takes to get their bikes to Europe for tours. And the MoCo's shipping service (Claridon, I think) is a complete rip-off.

I'm just worried I'll get a VAT tax charged because the bike is so new, but it will only be in Germany for 6-months or less, so hopefully I get a nice customs guy! I've heard stories about them putting the VAT in escrow or whatever and you get it back when you leave. Yeah, I really want to let a government hold my money?!?!

I looked into renting. It is ridiculously expensive to rent any bike I'd be interested in riding here. And I want this thing for primary transportation. I will be doing a job assignment here, so I have a residence.

Cheers,
Nick

·
sober 2 nite
223 Posts
have sent you PM no tax on temp imports as far as I know

·
Zicke
2,810 Posts
Hey there.... yes we have the strongest laws here for motorcycles. And for that reason they developed a special exhaust system for Europe and I think especially for Germany.
The stock exhausts have a cable pull that opens and closes flaps and so it's quiet when you ride and louder when you stop.

If you need help let me know maybe we can find some stock pipes for you.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the help folks! Now I just have to find a mother ***** shipper that doesn't want me to bring the bike to Canada or 7 states away just to get it there. Arg!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts