Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Nocturnal Ancestor
6,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever fear your motorcycle riding days were over
Whether by safety choice, injury or health ? Over last few years I've had a few heath happening that I thought I'd probably give it up. Got over one thing dealing with the other really well.

Just fer heck of it!!

·
Registered
39,558 Posts
Only by death.

Had a couple events where I asked myself at the time, "How the hell am I going to get out of this?"

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Yup... Since 11\08\13 I've gotten less than 100 miles on my scoot. I've had serious thoughts of selling it, just so I don't have to walk past it every time I go outside...

·
Registered
20 Posts
As long as

I can hold it up, I'll ride it. Age seems to be catching up with me but, though I will grow old, I refuse to grow up:)
grumpy

·
Registered
543 Posts
With all the surgeries that I've had to go thru recently it occurred to me that I wouldn't be able to ride. But I've been doing pretty good so far, one thing I have noticed is that I am a bit more cautious than I used to be. I imagine it comes from coming so close to dying several times in the last 15 months .

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Nope

·
Old Scooter Tramp
1,367 Posts
Was told back in the late 90s that I would never be back on a scoot or drive a truck again. I called BS, and a few years later I was doing both again.
Old age is a b!tch and life happens but sheer determination will do a lot.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I figure if I get too old or decrepit to ride two wheels, I'll get a trike and ride some more...

I'm already planning on a trike after I retire (I've only got 17 more yrs)... it's the only way that the wife will ride, and after I retire I'll be looking to do more than a few hours at a time... I'll be looking for several days

Exco

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Barring any catastrophic physical limitations, my ridings days will be over the same day as I take my last breath.

·
Registered
403 Posts
It is a driving force to keep me health and limber. Got me on a exercise routine last year when I was starting to get stiff. Put me in the ground if I can't ride.

·
Super Moderator
12,743 Posts
7 years ago I went asystole (sudden cardiac death). One of the first questions I had was "how will this effect my riding". Fortunately, not at all. I will ride 2 wheels as long as I can physically hold it up and I will go to 3 when then that is no longer an option.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,469 Posts
28 April, 2007, I met the nice lady in the SUV as she left-turned me on US Hwy 90 in Gautier, MS. My first thoughts as I was launched airborne was, OMG, my bike.....
As I spent the next bunch of months recovering and learning to walk on one and a half legs, all I could think of was getting another Harley. My brother asked me to give it up...I hate to break my word to him....but when I finally got my present ride 4 years later, he said he knew I couldn't stay away from motorcycles, and here I am today riding every chance I get. I ain't dead yet!

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
If I lose confidence in my ability to be safe on 2 wheels, I will get therapy time in a convertible.

+2 on the convertible ! Sometimes while riding my Harley I'll wish I was in my Camaro convertible , then at other times I'll be in the convertible & wish I was on my W/G ! Go figure . :bikerguy:

·
"Ain't quite right"™
11,240 Posts
Pretty damned far in the back of my mind, I'll start worrying, once baggers start looking appealing to me...

·
Resist Tyranny
1,881 Posts
+2 on the convertible ! Sometimes while riding my Harley I'll wish I was in my Camaro convertible , then at other times I'll be in the convertible & wish I was on my W/G ! Go figure . :bikerguy:
If I lose confidence in my ability to be safe on 2 wheels, I will get therapy time in a convertible.
After my bout with cancer in '10 I couldn't ride for almost a year. Tried once two months in but only made it to the stop sign at the end of the road, all I could do to ride it the 1 1/2 miles to get home. If I ever get to the point I can't ride? Well I've always wanted a TR6.

later, dozer

p.s. but I'd settle for a Solstice
p.p.s. preferably one with the turbo

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Philosophically speaking, part of what helps me define a life I love, is riding. If it comes down to choice, then that choice will almost invariably be to have some form of "wind in my face" (and not the bodily kind <~~~) but truly, whether 2 or three, or four with a top down, I want to live with as few walls as possible.... Just sayin'

1 - 20 of 105 Posts