Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had quite a number of bikes with spokes but have never had an instant deflation. The thought of that makes me a little nervous. I went to California and back (over 5500 miles) on a bike with alloys and when I got back, I noticed two large nails in the rear tire and didn't lose air enough to even notice. Hard to believe, but true. But I have a question. Now, I have an '05 1200C with lots of goodies tacked on. If the 21" front spoke wheel had a flat, or blowout, would the rim automatically hit the pavement? Just wondering if anyone has had this happen, and if it was as bad as I suspect it would be. Experiences shared would be appreciated.

·
Wayward Son
23,319 Posts
Did`t have a blow out but had a 21" on spokes go flat on me at highway speed.
Never knew it until I would slow down.
Weight shift and physics are amazing things.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did`t have a blow out but had a 21" on spokes go flat on me at highway speed.
Never knew it until I would slow down.
Weight shift and physics are amazing things.
The centrifugal force on the tire just might be the thing that would save your hide. Especially if you knew it happened and shifted your weight back more on the rear wheel.

·
Wayward Son
23,319 Posts
The centrifugal force on the tire just might be the thing that would save your hide. Especially if you knew it happened and shifted your weight back more on the rear wheel.
Know it saved my tail.
Was in a tunnel in PA coming back into Ohio. Had slowed down a bit because of traffic. Started feeling the wobble.
Thought it was rain grooves so sped back up.
The group I was running Tail Gunner for had pulled over to reform just outside the tunnel.
Got over in the slow lane then onto the berm. Had to lock my elbows to keep the bike straight and upright.
Once stopped did`t even have to get off to see the front was totally flat.
The rest of the trip home my bike was on the support trailer and I was in the bed of the pick-up. :mad
To this day they still ask how I managed to unscrew the valve stem at 60+ MPH. :laugh

·
Registered
373 Posts
Had my rear spoked tire blow out on an old shadow and it more felt like the road was wet back end didn't want to grab acceleration was boggy, was on the freeway so I had to continue accelerating to the side of the road

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Dr. Pending Projects
1,785 Posts
This is why I have always wanted to replace the wheels on my 48...

Even if it is one in a million chance, at least I would be able to plug it and keep riding...

I have a compressor, plugs, etc. in my RK....

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yes, I had a front tire blow-out on a Honda 750-4, highway 44 out of St. Louis running about 65, blew, was a bit wobbly but manageable, limped to a station & got the tire replaced.

Rear tire? Yes too, but never noticed till someone else mentioned it (probably would have noticed but at the time . . ) highway speeds the tires stay useable until shredded.

Keep it on the rubber,

·
Registered
257 Posts
Have had two bikes with spokes and love the classic looks. Never a problem. There is some great sealer/balancers out there to use if you are a little spooked but if you like the looks of spokes then ride 'em!

·
Wayward Son
23,319 Posts
Doubling up on the rim flap does`t hurt. A little double insurance if a spoke loosens up during a trip.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts