Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went to my local bearing guy for a new cam bearing. Told him I wanted the torrington brand and showed him the old one. He told me this was the replacement. This company bought them out.
Say its not so. Says USA on it. Koyo B-138;L125 Anybody else run into this?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Retired citizen
23,387 Posts
Looking at the pic of that Koyo bearing, it looks like the original OEM bearing that had the high failure rate. Needle, spacer, needle, spacer etc.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Badbet, that is the correct bearing, the B-138 is the same as the old Torrinton bearing.

Schmidtys - Please take a closer look at the bearing he has pictured, there are no spacers between those needles.

·
Registered
39,571 Posts
Schmidtys - Please take a closer look at the bearing he has pictured, there are no spacers between those needles.
Correct. It just looks like the INA bearing due to bad lighting in the pic.

·
Retired citizen
23,387 Posts
What I'm referring to as the spacers is the nylon needle retainer. Needle, retainer, needle, retainer etc. The black part between needles is the retainer.
The replacement torrington had twice as many needles I believe. I've got a couple good ones at my shop so next time I'm out there I'll get a needle count.

·
Retired citizen
23,387 Posts
That Koyo looks to have 30 needles to me.

·
Registered
39,571 Posts
There is no retainer in that pic.

You are seeing reflections on the needles.

·
Retired citizen
23,387 Posts
My old eyeballs is playing tricks on me ! If that bearing has something to the tune of 60 needles then it's the heavy duty bearing.

·
Retired citizen
23,387 Posts
That's what I counted in the pic, about 15 for the half. That's why it looked like there was a retainer separating the needles !

·
Registered
78 Posts
INA vs Koyo (Torrington) B-138

The space for the retainer in the INA bearings is huge (see below pic).

Per the Koyo website, "Following the acquisition of the Needle Roller Bearing Division in 2010, JTEKT has announced full brand integration starting on 1 January 2013. Needle Roller Bearings, branded Koyo-Torrington until the end of 2012, will now bear the Koyo logo exclusively, thus adding to the very complete range of Koyo ball and roller bearings. The decision is justified by the advances in the integration of the ball, roller and needle bearing businesses under the umbrella of JTEKT. Therefore, starting on 1 January 2013, for all your bearing needs, there is only one name you need to know: Koyo."

Attachments

·
Retired citizen
23,387 Posts
The space for the retainer in the INA bearings is huge (see below pic).

Per the Koyo website, "Following the acquisition of the Needle Roller Bearing Division in 2010, JTEKT has announced full brand integration starting on 1 January 2013. Needle Roller Bearings, branded Koyo-Torrington until the end of 2012, will now bear the Koyo logo exclusively, thus adding to the very complete range of Koyo ball and roller bearings. The decision is justified by the advances in the integration of the ball, roller and needle bearing businesses under the umbrella of JTEKT. Therefore, starting on 1 January 2013, for all your bearing needs, there is only one name you need to know: Koyo."
Twice as many needles more than the stock H-D bearing !

·
Registered
39,571 Posts
Those INA's have been the root of MANY issues over the years.
Makes a mess when they fail.
Scott
Gotta split the cases to get all the bits out don't you?

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Gotta split the cases to get all the bits out don't you?
Seems to be the case most times.
On many occasions they bugger the left case where a sleeve needs to be installed.
Not a hard job, just takes a little time, and once attended to it turns out to be a nice repair.:)
Scott

1 - 20 of 23 Posts