Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help from a real engine builder . are there any other needle bearings the same size as the inner cam bearing anywhere else in the engine ?

·
Retired citizen
24,163 Posts
^^^ No.

·
Registered
41,443 Posts
I think I'm gonna go with no.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
I need help from a real engine builder . are there any other needle bearings the same size as the inner cam bearing anywhere else in the engine ?

OK, I'm curious. Why do you ask?

--

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, I'm curious. Why do you ask?

--

so here`s the deal . I`m a diesel mechanic not an H.D. engine mechanic . had a good relation ship with the local dealer . I have no garage .

long story short , they installed an EV27 cam in the engine 2 winters ago , 11,000 miles ago . got back from my trip from Idaho and was heading over to the dealer ,check out 2015s and the mechanical oil press gauge is bouncing . have a bite check oil . down a quart . add a quart . 1.5 miles over to dealer , gauge is bouncing again . get to dealer , no oil on stick .

out in the parking lot , I pull air filter, clean that , get level , pull the primary cover , no excess oil in primary . no smoke no nothing .

add another quart . leave , get 3/4 mile from dealer , look down at oil psi gauge and my right leg is cover in oil !!

pull air filter off , spitten oil out the crank breather . throw the filter in sad bag , and coast back to dealer .

first they say its the crank breather in by the cam is probably stripped . happens ... ok .

get a call , go down , me and tech looking it over . 1 needle bearing got into the oil pump and took out pretty much the drive gear , driven gear . everything in there ! and pump housing . case is ok .

ok .. take care it . crap happens . I told him to do what ever it takes to make sure there are no other needle bearings anywhere else .we both looked at the cam bearing and there were no missing needles .

he is the only H.D. tech that has ever worked on the engine . I do the rest . suspension electrical , etc.

get the call , come pick up bike . they handed me an adjusted bill of $2000.00 and said I got a good deal .

:bat

paid the bill and haven`t been back .

so if you leave gears and bearings alone for an overnight , they produce little needle bearings ??

:think

did I say long story -short ?

·
Retired citizen
24,163 Posts
Are you saying that more needles were found than should have been in the case from that cam bearing going bad ???
Two grand ! So they took the whole damn engine apart and back together ?

·
Banned
71 Posts
so here`s the deal . I`m a diesel mechanic not an H.D. engine mechanic . had a good relation ship with the local dealer . I have no garage .

long story short , they installed an EV27 cam in the engine 2 winters ago , 11,000 miles ago . got back from my trip from Idaho and was heading over to the dealer ,check out 2015s and the mechanical oil press gauge is bouncing . have a bite check oil . down a quart . add a quart . 1.5 miles over to dealer , gauge is bouncing again . get to dealer , no oil on stick .

out in the parking lot , I pull air filter, clean that , get level , pull the primary cover , no excess oil in primary . no smoke no nothing .

add another quart . leave , get 3/4 mile from dealer , look down at oil psi gauge and my right leg is cover in oil !!

pull air filter off , spitten oil out the crank breather . throw the filter in sad bag , and coast back to dealer .

first they say its the crank breather in by the cam is probably stripped . happens ... ok .

get a call , go down , me and tech looking it over . 1 needle bearing got into the oil pump and took out pretty much the drive gear , driven gear . everything in there ! and pump housing . case is ok .

ok .. take care it . crap happens . I told him to do what ever it takes to make sure there are no other needle bearings anywhere else .we both looked at the cam bearing and there were no missing needles .

he is the only H.D. tech that has ever worked on the engine . I do the rest . suspension electrical , etc.

get the call , come pick up bike . they handed me an adjusted bill of $2000.00 and said I got a good deal .

:bat

paid the bill and haven`t been back .

so if you leave gears and bearings alone for an overnight , they produce little needle bearings ??

:think

did I say long story -short ?
If this "shop" has been the ONLY ones to get into the motor, then I'd say that you need to get a refund on this last bill.

"THEY" left the bearings in your motor, "they" should fix the problem that was caused by leaving them there .

JMHO

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ev 27 was installed to perk this engine up . was original , no wear issues . original bearing was fine but removed to install a new one since he was already in there .

bike has run fine , until this . I felt very greateful this didn`t happen on the trip

when I went in to inspect with the mechanic , we looked at everything . the bearing he installed looked perfect . all the needles were there and it was a no-cage bearing . would have to look at receipt to see what # it is .

he asked how far to go on it , and we both agreed to pull anything that needed to be pulled to check for anymore bearing parts .

engine was not disassembled . the rear wheel pulled and pan dropped . magnet through the rest .

I`m a little scketchy on this whole deal , because I build big diesels and trannies and go through everything in any kind of failure .

what I get for trying help these guys while they were slow .

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
the bearing I inspected( new one ) looked exactly like the Timken Torrington bearing in the evo cam bearing thread .

my opinion is that when he pulled the old bearing , the cage broke and he didn`t count them all .

crap happens .

I get ALL THE CRAP that nobody wants to work on . as far as trucks . I`m always fixin the screw ups , so I get it , but dang man !

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
At the very least, I think this is cause to have a conversation with the service manager and store owner/manager in a conference. NOT one on one. Their only defense is the amount of time and mileage; meaning that you may may not be able to prove to their satisfaction that you or somebody else might have worked on the engine at some point after they did. However, I think that you already demonstrated to them that they were your choice for a shop to do any major engine work when you had them do the cam install, IMO.

Keep calm and logical. I get the feeling from the way you explained this so far that you have the right background and temperament to handle this correctly from your side.

Good luck!

--

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks Silver .

I`m not looking to hang anybody . what I was going to do was see if in the future I could get a rental bike whenever friends or my sister is in town . no charge ..

the tech who worked on the bike is a good ole boy , and don`t want reprocussions on him .

so that`s why I was thinking no charge rentals on their side . really no skin off there ass . I get to ride an Ultra or something and I don`t have to wash the bike after a ride .

then I can honestly say they took care of it .

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Cork,
From one diesel mechanic to another a Harley motor is no technical wonder get a tech manual and a few special tools and do the work yourself then you'll know its right instead of relying on some hack at the stealership just my 2 pennies

1 - 20 of 46 Posts