Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent the bulk of my birthday on the tear down. The rear left rocker box screw is kicking my butt.

Need a new head gasket on the front cylinder and decided I will replace the cam bearing and check the lifters while I am at it. Found several goofs by the dealer, including a surprisingly loose intake manifold. This is left from when they installed the motor 3 years ago. Too late to complain but reinforces why I do my own work.

Front gasket was weeping oil and baking it on the cylinder. Got oven cleaner to deal with that mess. I think it actually happened at Biketoberfest 1-1/2 years ago going down Main St way too slow. Probably overheated.

I think I can use a 2x4 and a tie down to move the motor just enough to get the screw out. Decided to quit before I did something stupid. Be riding the Dyna this week.

Attachments

·
Banned
71 Posts
Spent the bulk of my birthday on the tear down. The rear left rocker box screw is kicking my butt.

Need a new head gasket on the front cylinder and decided I will replace the cam bearing and check the lifters while I am at it. Found several goofs by the dealer, including a surprisingly loose intake manifold. This is left from when they installed the motor 3 years ago. Too late to complain but reinforces why I do my own work.

Front gasket was weeping oil and baking it on the cylinder. Got oven cleaner to deal with that mess. I think it actually happened at Biketoberfest 1-1/2 years ago going down Main St way too slow. Probably overheated.

I think I can use a 2x4 and a tie down to move the motor just enough to get the screw out. Decided to quit before I did something stupid. Be riding the Dyna this week.
Leave the bolt in the rocker cover and remove it with the cover . :)

·
Super Moderator
12,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can't unscrew it all the way.

A guy on FB recommended loosening the 2 rear motor mounts. I'll try that next time I'm working on it. That makes a lot of sense to me.

·
Super Moderator
12,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went ahead and pulled this out of the birthday thread. This project will take thru next weekend most likely.

I got 80% of the tear down done. That stupid rocker cover screw was killing me. A FB suggestion was to loosen the rear motor mounts. Trying that next. What gets me is the frame is notched for clearance, but it's off by 1/8".

You can see the "perfect" intake manifold wrench. If you ain't got one, you need one.

I think I decided since I am in this far to go ahead and replace the rear cylinder gaskets too.

Next is getting the engine rotated around to close all the valves and take off the rocker arms.

Then the cam chest. I am hoping the lifter bearings are ok. My last ones made it 80k. This motor has just under 40k on it.

Attachments

·
Retired citizen
23,359 Posts
Isn't there a hole in the frame just above that left rear cover screw ? That's where the screw comes out.

·
Super Moderator
12,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes there is, but it is misaligned by ~1/8". I tried to use a 1x2 and get more access. Helped a little, but not enough.

·
Retired citizen
23,359 Posts
A long wobble end Allen will get that screw going thru the frame.
I wouldn't loosen the rear mounts, that's the swingarm pivot. If anything remove the front mount, that'll drop the engine low enough.
Front mount: Loosen 2 bolts on the mount plate to engine, remove stabilizer bolt from frame, remove center mount bolt, jack up engine as far as possible, remove 2 bolts on each side of mount. Take the mount out then lower the engine. Simple ! It'll be much easier installing the rocker covers later too.

·
Super Moderator
12,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The screw is 1/8" to the right. A long wobble ain't going to cut it because it tops out on the bottom of the frame.

Dang Schmidty's, that don't sound "easy". I was thinking if I loosen the 2 rear bolts, the motor and tranny would "sag" and allow for the tiny bit of clearance I need. It's ain't much, maybe 1/16"

·
Retired citizen
23,359 Posts
Now I'm wondering what bolts you're talking about. The rear motor mounts are the swingarm pivots, those are under tension. 2 bolts on each side of the bike. You don't mean the bolts that mount the engine to the trans do ya ?
Another thing, if that cover screw is that far off I'd have to say the engine alignment is off. The MoCo put that hole in the frame just for that cover screw.

·
Super Moderator
12,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, the two 9/16" hex screws that mount the motor and tranny.

The motor was installed by the dealer (so I could have my 2 yr warranty). It might be off. I am not thrilled with: manifold was loose, the gas line clamp on the carb side was never crimped ( I replaced it a few days after the install), the rear brake light was disconnected, mismatched exhaust mounting hardware... I wouldn't go back there again for service.

The bike runs straight and the tires wear fine. The belt is aligned. Not sure I want to try and mess with the alignment, but you are right, it is off.

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
Could the hole in the frame be enlarged to allow access to the screw in question?

·
Super Moderator
12,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No. It's actually a rectangular shaped recess above the screw about 3" by 1" but it misses by 1/8". I didn't see a thru hole, but I will look tonight.

Attachments

·
Just Ride
3,255 Posts
Sounds like they put the wrong bolt/screw in. Can you cut the head of screw off (hacksaw / sawzall) and use needle nose pliers to remove the rest?

·
Super Moderator
12,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nope, right screw. Going to try and "sag" the motor a bit.

Attachments

·
Registered
403 Posts
So close to the hole. What if you just hog the slot at the spot to get the screw out? Or pull the motor to the side with top motor mount?

·
Super Moderator
12,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hmmm, why didn't I think of using the motor mount? I hate to get into a whole motor alignment procedure, but maybe it is for the best.

·
Super Moderator
12,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Spent the evening helping my daughter with math, then balancing the checkbook and paying bills. Tonight is Jam night. Maybe I can get in a hour or two tomorrow. Thursday is out. I hope to sew it up this weekend provided the lifter bearings are good, then it should be fairly easy to knock out.

·
Retired citizen
23,359 Posts
Nope, right screw. Going to try and "sag" the motor a bit.
If you remove those trans bolts the engine will rotate BUT ... you could snap the screws that hold the primary onto the engine case or break the seal on the inner primary o-ring up front ! The primary is bolted solid to the trans and engine.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Spent the evening helping my daughter with math, then balancing the checkbook and paying bills. Tonight is Jam night. Maybe I can get in a hour or two tomorrow. Thursday is out. I hope to sew it up this weekend provided the lifter bearings are good, then it should be fairly easy to knock out.
Several others make this wrench, it's just the only pic of it I could find .

Screamin' Eagle Rocker Box Bolt Ratcheting Wrench-94057-09 | Specialty Tools | Official Harley-Davidson Online Store

With this wrench and an insert bit, the bolt will come out . :)

·
Retired citizen
23,359 Posts
The best thing I've found to fit those tight rocker cover screws is a short piece of 3/16" Allen wrench and an open end 3/16ths wrench to turn it.
I've got that H-D wrench but it tends to get stuck between the frame and the L.R. screw. Works okay on the rest of the screws tho.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts